[sci.military] swords

PAPAI@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Jonathan Papai) (06/05/90)

From: PAPAI@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu (Jonathan Papai)

xFrom: "Jonathan L Wilson" <wilsonjl@hsdp3.brooks.af.mil>
xmathers@titan.trl.oz.au (Steven Mathers) write
x> Assuming , for whataver reason, that the military found some real use
x> for swords on a modern battlefield, what would they make them out of
x> these days.  Say military R&D went all out to get the best sword they
x> could come up with in hardness, sharpness, etc...
xA few years ago I had an undergraduate class in materials science that tackled
xthis issue out of curiousity. The conclusion (I remember faintly) was that a
x"maraging" steel, a steel with very high proportions of alloying elements, was
xjust the ticket. It contained, I think, some 20-30% titanium. Maraging steels
xcombine hardness with extreme toughness. All this is quite foggy now, perhaps
xsomeone in the business knows more.

	The "active ingredient" in maraging steels is typically
	18 % nickel.   However I believe that the composite solutions
	suggested are probably still better.  If we restrict to
	monolithic materials the moderator's suggestion of a D2 tool
	steel is probably more abrasion resistant, with adequate
	toughness, while the similar D7 is probably even better. In
	"Heat Treater Guide", American Soc. Metals,1982, it says that
	D7 is among the most abrasion resistant steels known. A
	nitriding treated 4340 is aweful case hard also.
xJonathan L Wilson                     |  "I am TEFLON, you are cyanoacrylate.
xTRW Systems Integration Group         |   Slides off me and sticks to you."
xMILNET: WILSONJL@HQHSD.BROOKS.AF.MIL  |
xPhone:  (512) 536 2236                |
xStandard disclaimer applies.          |

Jon Papai			*  I think of this project as
Mater.Sci.&Eng			*  quite important,  it is you
Ohio State Univ.		*  I take lightly.
Papai@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu	* 		-James T. Kirk

mark@mouse.UUCP (Mark Wickersham) (06/05/90)

From: mark@mouse.UUCP (Mark Wickersham)

In article <16060@cbnews.ATT.COM>, mlfisher@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:

> From: mlfisher@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu
> > [mod.note:  At least one modern swordmaker I know (and there are several)
> > uses D-2 tool steel.  It's very tough and hard, so retains an edge and
> > resists chipping, and is also corrosion resistant.  Anyone know what
> > the US Navy officers' swords are made of ?  - Bill ]
>
> Mine's made from Toledo Steel, as in Spain.  At least thats what it says on the
> blade.
>
> Mike

The spanish master smith Bermejo (sp?) in the ancient fortress city
of Toledo proudly displays US, Spanish, German(!!!!), French(!!!!) and
other military and ceremonial contracts in his shop.  When last I was
there he had some 20 aprentices and 10 journeymen.  He appears to be
in his 70's, but quite hale.  My rapier, as all his weapons, is fully
tempered, and may be bent into a half circle with no trouble.  I have
taken a 5 ft great sword of his, placed the point into the ground, bent
it back with my foot (like stringing a bow), and had the blade bounce me
into the air like I was on a pogo stick!  I saw a number of apprentices
working on final fit and finish on US navy and marine sabers.

Toledo is truly a mecca for fencers and arms and armour fanciers.