[sci.military] P-38 in Europe

gopal%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Gopal Ramachandran) (06/05/90)

From: gopal%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Gopal Ramachandran)

In article <16086@cbnews.ATT.COM> steve@uspm650.Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) writes:

>In addition, prior to the J model, there were no cowl flaps on the
>engine to control engine oil temperature easy (as a pilot, I find
>this very disconcerting, since ALL the high performance airplanes
>I fly have cowl flaps)....

I dont know. "ALL" is a lot of generalization.

 I've flown many reasonably high-performance (for General Aviation,
that is) aircraft that DONT have cowl flaps. I'll cite two, a
normally-aspirated single and a twin with two-turbochargers per engine:

Pitts S-1S (3000fpm sea level rate-of-climb upright or inverted)
Aerostar 601 (300mph+ at 25,000 feet with 290hp Lycomings)

Yes, I've flown airplanes with cowl flaps, too but I dont find the
lack of cowl flaps in GA airplanes very unusual. I do agree that it is
amazing that they didnt seem to find them necessary in the P-38.

Gopal