[sci.military] Inverted Gull Wings

djm@castle.ed.ac.uk (D Murphy) (06/05/90)

From: D Murphy <djm@castle.ed.ac.uk>

I was watching a film about a US fighter squadron in the Pacific in WW2 a
few days ago, and they were flying big inverted-gull winged single seaters
(so I don't think they were Corsairs). What were they, and what advantages
the inverted gull give the plane ?

Murff...

--
Murff...   (djm%ed.castle@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk)

"I thought she was taking the piss because I told her how H-bombs work"

marco@ncsc.navy.mil (Barbarisi) (06/05/90)

From: marco@ncsc.navy.mil (Barbarisi)
From: D Murphy <djm@castle.ed.ac.uk> of Edinburgh Univ. Chemistry
>I was watching a film about a US fighter squadron in the Pacific in WW2 a
>few days ago, and they were flying big inverted-gull winged single seaters
>(so I don't think they were Corsairs). What were they, and what advantages
>the inverted gull give the plane ?

The only significant US fighter in WWII that had inverted gull wings was
the Chance-Vought F4U Corsair.  They are the only craft that fit Mr. Murphy's
description.  The Corsair was the largest and heaviest single-seat carrier
fighter of the war.   The primary US Navy aircraft of the war were the Corsair,
the Grumman Wildcat, and the Grumman Hellcat.  Wait!  I just remembered that
the Hellcat had a slightly bent wing, a subtle inverted gull shape, not
nearly as pronounced as that of the Corsair.  I stand self-corrected.

For the benefit of those who don't know, an "inverted gull wing" looks like
this when viewed head-on:

                       Fuselage
                      /         \
         ___________/            \___________

Inverted gull wings are used to make the landing gear as short, strong,
and simple as possible while providing sufficient ground clearance for
a huge propellor.   Extra large propellors are needed to efficiently tap
the power of a big engine.  Extra strong landing gear is needed on a carrier
plane to absorb the shock when a plane slams onto the deck.  In the cases
of the Hellcat and the Corsair, the design tradeoff was between a straight
wing with heavy and complicated landing gear and an inverted gull wing with
lighter and simpler gear, albeit at a slight loss of aerodynamic efficiency
and an increase in the structural complexity of the wing.

Marco C. Barbarisi
Naval Coastal Systems Center
Panama City, Florida
marco@ncsc.navy.mil