[sci.military] Meaning of "SR" in SR-71

a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn) (06/05/90)

From: a752@mindlink.UUCP (Bruce Dunn)

> tmarshall01@cc.cut.oz.au writes:
> I was wondering if someone could tell me what SR stands for
> (as in SR-71. )

     The naming of the SR-71 is covered in the excellent book "Deep Black" by
William E. Burrows.  The book (available as a Berkley paperback) details
high-technology intelligence, including spy planes and satellites.  On p. 153
of the paperback, Burrows writes:

The third and final version of Johnson's reconnaissance plane was an improved
A-12 called the SR-71*.

(footnote to p. 153):

* It was supposed to be named the RS-71A, for Reconnaissance/Strike, with the
number 71 having been the next available after the naming of North American's
B-70 Valkyrie bomber.  When Lyndon Johnson announced the plane's existence,
however, he mistakenly referred to it as the SR-71.  Someone in the system
apparently decided that it was easier to rename the plane, making SR stand for
Strategic Reconnaissance, than to inform Johnson that he had committed a gaffe
in public.  Similarly, a press release went out of the Johnson White House on
February 29, 1964, referring to the A-12 as the A-11, an error that has
probably confounded any number of journalists and aviation historians.
--
Bruce Dunn   Vancouver, Canada    a752@mindlink.UUCP