[sci.military] German Equipment

demon@desire.wright.edu (06/05/90)

From: demon@desire.wright.edu

> definitely behind the British.  As for tanks, the Tiger didn't have sloped
> armour,
> the Germans only adopted sloped armour on the Pather when they saw the
> Russian using them on their T34s.

	The Tiger I didn't have sloped armour but the Tiger II (King Tiger)
did.  As far as tanks go, I would take the Panther/King Tiger or the JS III/KV
85,KV100 combo over any other type of tank/heavy tank.  Nothing the allies had
could have stood up to these tanks in equal numbers.
	The KV's and Txx's were pretty similar in the later stages of the war,
so replace KV 100 with T34/85 or T34/100 if you like.
        There were some areas that the Germans were deficient in, but as far as
land armies go, they were the best equipped (and trained) overall.

Brett

[mod.note:  There was no T-34/100.  To call the late-war KV's and T-34's
similar is misleading; the T-34's were much faster and lighter. - Bill ]