[sci.military] Panthers and Tigers

m1b@sgfb.ssd.ray.com (M. Joseph Barone) (06/05/90)

From: m1b@sgfb.ssd.ray.com (M. Joseph Barone)

In article <16013@cbnews.ATT.COM> milano!fugate@buckaroo.sw.mcc.com
(Bryan Fugate) writes:
>One feature in particular made the Soviet tanks outstanding compared
>to the Germans; they burned diesel fuel instead of gasoline.  It is
>hard today to understand why the Germans made this fundamentally bad
>decision since they themselves had invented the technology.

Along the same lines, why did the Germans use interleaved road wheels
on the Panthers and Tigers?  The maintenance on them must have been
horrendous.  I would think that battlefield repairs on the inside
wheels would not have been possible, suggesting that they would have
had to abandon these expensive pieces of hardware.  What advantage
did interleaved road wheels have?

[mod.note:  The one I hear most often cited is that the interleaved
technique was supposed to be better at distributing the weight across
the tracks, lowering the stress on each component.  The great weight of the
Panther and Tigers supposedly made this necessary.  - Bill ]

--
Joe Barone --------------------> m1b@rayssdb.ssd.ray.com
{gatech, decuac, sun, necntc, ukma, uiucdcs}!rayssdb!m1b