[sci.military] Cold Weather Problems

fugate@buckaroo.sw.mcc.com (Bryan Fugate) (06/04/90)

From: milano!fugate@buckaroo.sw.mcc.com (Bryan Fugate)

In article <16082@cbnews.ATT.COM>, ap542@ztivax.siemens.com (Helmut Peisl) writes:

> This brings a question to my mind.
> diesel fuel tends to sort of "clog up" below temperatures of around
> -20C. How was this avoided, especially during the russian winter?
>
> Today you have additives, were they already known then?

They did use some cold weather fuel additives but I am not familiar
with what they were.  During times of crisis when it was very cold,
the standard procedure was to start the engine frequently (depending
on the temp) and let it idle for a while, though this was wasteful of
fuel.

There were documented cases, believe it or not, where fires were built
under the oil pans to warm them up!

This reminds me of a story which some of you may have heard.  Sometime
after the Dec. 6 Russian counteroffensive around Moscow in 1941, many
German units were virtually depleted of ammo and, of course, there was
a severe shortage of adequate winter clothing.  Also, by that time,
partisans had caused many problems with the the rail lines and supplies
were snarled up behind the front.

At any rate, one train made it close to the front and it was mobbed by
hungry, freezing troopers who were out of ammo and threatened by an
attack.  Knowing that the train was full of needed supplies imagine what
they felt like when they broke open the boxcars and found them filled
with French wines...a gift to the men at the front!  The ultimate
disappointment was that the cold had burst the bottles and all they
had was glass-filled wine sickles...a true story.

wbrown@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov (Bill Brown) (06/06/90)

From: wbrown@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov (Bill Brown)

My Dad was a Service Engineer for General Electric in the late
40's - early 50's, working mainly on deisel locomotives.  At
one time he dad to got to Ft. Eustice (sp?) Va. to put some
new locomotives in service.

As best as I recall, they were adjustable gauge ( maybe 1 meter to
6' or something like that) and were designed to be started when
cold-soaked at -60 degrees F.

The whole process started with an alcohol lamp, which was used to
melt a bit of fuel oil.  This oil was then burned to heat more oil,
which was somehow circulated through the fuel tanks, around
the storeage batteries, and through crankcase.

Eventually, when the lube oil in the engine and enough fuel to
start on weas warm enough, the engine was cranked.  Seems like the
whole proceedure took a couple of hours.  I don't know where the
locomotives eventually ended up, (as far as I can guess they were
never used on 5' track where it gets VERY cold) but I suspect that
a couple of them are at the Naval Weapons Station in Concord, CA.

						-bill
						wlbrown@lbl.gov
No opinion - maybe not even facts.
got warm enough