[sci.military] Malayan Insurgency

terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker) (06/06/90)

From: terryr@ogicse.ogi.edu (Terry Rooker)
In article <16042@cbnews.ATT.COM> smpod@csd.lerc.nasa.gov (Steve Podleski (Sverdrup)) writes:

>Where not the insurgents mostly of Chinese ancestry/origin which may
>explain the lack of support by the native Malayans and also explain
>the failure of the insurgency?

Yes the insurgents were of Chinese ancestry.  Although I doubt that
would be sufficient for the failure of the insurgency.  If it were,
the insurgency probably never would have gotten enough support to
justify the "emergency".  An insurgency needs some dissatisfaction to
generate support.  As with many other post-WWII colonies, the Malays
(not just the ethnic Malays) were seeking self-government.  The
British recognized this early, and took steps to transfer power to the
Malay people.  More importantly, the British didn't renege on promises
to transfer power as the Malays proved themselves capable.  These
situations are incredibly complex, and it is not possible to ascribe
events to any single cause.  If it were, then history would be a lot
easier.

--
Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu

c60a-3hu%e260-1g.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Howard Jones) (06/06/90)

From: c60a-3hu%e260-1g.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Howard Jones)
In article <16042@cbnews.ATT.COM> smpod@csd.lerc.nasa.gov (Steve Podleski (Sverdrup)) writes:
>: Add a general
>:disinterest by the larger population and the insurgency failed.
>:Although the last of the CTs only recently turned themselves in.
>:
>
>Where not the insurgents mostly of Chinese ancestry/origin which may
>explain the lack of support by the native Malayans and also explain
>the failure of the insurgency?

The Communist Party of Malaya was dominated by the Chinese but it also comprised
Malays and Indians. It received support from China. The failure of the insurgency
lies partly in the general lack of support from the populace. The Malays, being
Muslim (the staunchest anti-communists) and suspicious of the Chinese, did not
support the uprising. Some Chinese supported the communists, primarily for fear of
Malay domination. It's also good to note that the guerillas operated mainly in the
jungles which were least likely to be inhabited by the Chinese (Malays typically lived
in farms while most Chinese lived in towns). The Communists also instigated violent
riots in Singapore. However, the rapidly rising standard of living made the communist
claims appear ridiculous. Politicians were also able to play down the racial elements
in the issue. The contribution made by the British forces at the height of the
insurgency was paramount too without which the Malay states would have turned communist.
Driving between towns in those days could be a real hazard.

  It's also good to note that a similar insurgency took place in neighboring
Thailand. The CPT at its height reached a peak strength of more than 10000 men
under arms but today it's also fizzling out. Thanx to reconciliatory gestures on
the part of the Thai government (they also played an instrumental role in negotiating
the surrender of the CPM) that promised amnesty to all communists, the rise in the
standard of living (Thailand is now one of the fastest growing country in the
world) and a severing of weapon supply from Beijing.

  The basic goals of the communist struggles come from a demand for social justice
and fulfillment of basic needs. When these have been accomplished, the communist
s find themselves without any major motive to win widespread support. Other racially
or religiously-motivated insurgencies are harder to deal with (ie Sikh or Nagano
seperatists in India, the IRA in Northern Ireland or the Infitda).

  From the early 60s, President Sukarno of Indonesia also launched a series
of sabotage attacks on Singapore and Malaya pending the merger of the British
south east Asian possessions into Malaysia. Sukarno had dreams for forming his
own pan-Malay empire and felt the new Malay state would threaten his goals.
Indonesian special forces launch cross border raids as well as carried out
terrorist acts (bombings etc) in Singapore and malaya causing loss of lives.
The British SAS retaliated by carrying out long-range patrols deep into
Indonesian Kalimantan. The raids persisted until Sukarno was overthrown in a
bloody coup in 1965 by Gen Suharto who remains till today as Indonesia's
president.