[sci.military] MHD Drives; also more on the Il-76.

steve@uunet.UU.NET (Steve Nuchia) (06/06/90)

From: nuchat!steve@uunet.UU.NET (Steve Nuchia)

In article <16131@cbnews.ATT.COM> carroll1.cc.edu!tkopp (Tom Kopp) writes:
>In article <15934@cbnews.ATT.COM> nuchat!steve (Steve Nuchia) writes:
>>Cavitation occurs on the *forward* side of the screw blades, so

>Maybe I need an explanation of cavitation.  When I first heard about it,
>and that it was caused by propeller-induced vacuum, the following is what
>I reasoned out:
>The propeller, being canted to provide thrust, "compresses" water ahead of
[absolutely correct description deleted]
>Where did I go wrong with this?

A simple matter of semantics.  My "forward" referred to the
overall direction of travel, Tom's "ahead" refers to the
motion of a blade transverse to the direction of motion.
We said the same things in different reference frames.

The actual motion of a point on a propeller blade is a helix,
with the water passing more-or-less cleanly across the broad
surfaces of the blades.  If you think of the entire propellor
as a disk, it is the pressure difference across it that provides
thrust, the rear surface having higher pressure than the forward
surface.  If you try to go faster you have to increase the
pressure difference, some of which shows up as a reduction in
the pressure ahead of the screw.  When the absolute pressure
drops low enough, cavitation occurs: first at localized imperfections
and then generally.  A submarine at depth is able to use more
power for a given screw size because the absolute pressure ahead
of the screw starts out greater.

The design of the propeller is tricky, since the pitch has to
vary with the radius. (linear velocity constant, angular velocity
constant, circumferential velocity changes with radius.)  Airplane
propellers have a "twist" in the blades for this reason.  The blades
of a marine propeller are much broader, which make the curves more complex.
It is not easy to build a large screw with such complex compound curves,
and imperfections lead to early cavitation, not to mention ordinary
noisy turbulence.  That is why there was such a flap about Toshiba
selling those computer controlled milling machines to the Russians
a few years ago.  Supposedly they were ideal for making submarine
propellers, and our government wasn't real happy about the sale.

--
Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services      (713) 964-2462
"The study of the art of motorcycle maintenance is really a miniature study

dick@zombie.dtc.hp.com (Dick Lucas) (06/06/90)

From: dick@zombie.dtc.hp.com (Dick Lucas)

If you think about it, your explanation where the pressure is higher on the
forward part of the propellor will cause the thrust to be reversed from what
normally happens.  A propellor works much the same way as an aircraft wing,
with the low pressure on the forward (upper surface in the case of a wing)
surface.  If the pressure gets too low, the water will boil (cavitate) and
the forces generated when the small bubbles collapse can be high enough to
erode metal.