[sci.military] Seawolf-class and Perry-Class ships

V059L49Z@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu (IF INSANITY IS AN ART, CALL ME PICASO) (06/06/90)

From: "IF INSANITY IS AN ART, CALL ME PICASO" <V059L49Z@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
>From: cashman@acsu.buffalo.edu (geoffrey a cashman)
>

>First: The new Seawolf SSN
>
>   There's been alot of talk lately about this new attack sub project what
>with budget problems.  I am not in the slightest concerned with what
>Washington has financial plans in mind for this new creature.  I am interested
>in what role exactly this submarine is supposed to fill.
>
>   I realise I am barking up the wrong tree in asking for performance
>specifications for this sub.  So, the jist of my question is:  what
>threat is this sub supposed to counter that the L.A. class is not
>already countering?  Is the design philosophy an answer to the
>super fast alpha?  If not, what is the philosophy behind why it is
>being built?

I would say the basic reason is that the Los Angeles is a fine submarine,
but the Seawolf is in short more advanced.  The weapons load is supposed to
be about double that of the LA.  I understand the torpedo tubes are also
going to be larger to accomodate future designs.  I think it is also supposed
to be able to dive deeper.  It's probably quieter also.  There is some debate
about just how much better it is compared to the LA and new Soviet designs.

(Since I see you appear to be a University of Buffalo student also, the
undergraduate library has JANE'S FIGHTING SHIPS in the reference section and
it talks about the Seawolf.)

>Third: RE: a recent discussion about Taiwan and upgrades to the
>       FFG-7 Oliver Hazard Perry class of fast frigate.
>
>   From my limited knowledge of this vessel, it is designed primarily
>as a convoy escort, not as a Carrier or SAG escort.  I have also heard
>that the ship is not overly capable of mounting addition hardware since
>it is already *very* heavy for it's hull design.  The same ears heard
>that it is already somewhat top heavy.  Am I wrong?  It would be nice if
>this design were as upgradable as the Spruance class platforms.
>
>   If this information is correct it would seem that *adding* AAW capability
>to this platform would be difficult.  However, redesigning it with an
>AAW mission in mind could be accomplished, much as like the Kidd class
>sisters to the Spruance.

The Perry was designed as a second-class escort for convoys and amphibious
groups to supplement the Spruance-class.  The only way it can really have
any radical expansion in equipment is for something to be removed.  Also,
the Perry's are primarily an air-defense platform, carrying 36 surface-to-air
missiles and 4 Harpoons for the MK13 launcher at the bow.  The sonar fitted
is inferior to that of others, but is it expected to work with ships with
better sonars (such as the Knox-class for example).

				Joe Friday

Just the VAX, ma'am

anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee) (06/06/90)

From: anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Anthony Lee)

V059L49Z@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu (IF INSANITY IS AN ART, CALL ME PICASO) writes:

>I would say the basic reason is that the Los Angeles is a fine submarine,
>but the Seawolf is in short more advanced.  The weapons load is supposed to
>be about double that of the LA.  I understand the torpedo tubes are also
>going to be larger to accomodate future designs.  I think it is also supposed
>to be able to dive deeper.  It's probably quieter also.  There is some debate
>about just how much better it is compared to the LA and new Soviet designs.

The Seawolf is also faster, it can do about 35 knots dived.  The LA class
can only do about 31 knots.  However 35 knots is still slow compare with
what the Soviet Alpha can do (45 knots).  I think in the movie "The
Hunt for the Red October", one of the submarine was an Alpha.

One thing I can't understand is, why are the torpedo tubes on the Sea
Wolf in the bow section whereas in previous classes of attack submarines
they were located midship ?

--
Anthony Lee (Humble PhD student) (Alias Time Lord Doctor)
ACSnet:	anthony@batserver.cs.uq.oz	TEL:+(61)-7-371-2651