[sci.military] Battlefield communications

scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (06/04/90)

From: scw@ollie.SEAS.UCLA.EDU
In article <16040@cbnews.ATT.COM> stevew@wyse.wyse.com (Steve Wilson xttemp dept303) writes:

>> [...] Guderian riding around in one of these
>>things).
>
>Yep,
>
>Those radios were SO GOOD they could be heard in the Eastern US and
>Great Britian!  This really is mostly due to the frequency they
>chose to use them on, I believe 27 Mhz(i.e. current day CB frequencies)
>that have a tendancy to propagate around the world if conditions are
>right ;-) So in retrospect...maybe those radios were better for our
>side than they were for the Germans ;-)

We'll I don't think that it matters too very much if the enemy hears your
tatical communications back in his homeland.  Most probably by the time he
can get a message back to his manuver units things will have changed.  It is
much more important that you have good communications (again at the tatical
level) with only moderate security (20 min to break the code is probably more
than enough).

<scw>
-----
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASNET; 2567 BH;LA CA 90024; (213)-825-8614
UUCP: ...!{ibmsupt,hao!cepu}!ollie}!scw  Internet:scw@SEAS.UCLA.EDU

wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (David Lesher) (06/07/90)

From: David Lesher <wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu>

>We'll I don't think that it matters too very much if the enemy hears your
>tatical communications back in his homeland.  Most probably by the time he
>can get a message back to his manuver units things will have changed.  It is
>much more important that you have good communications (again at the tatical
>level) with only moderate security (20 min to break the code is probably more
>than enough).

There is whole class of work called SIGINT. It is devoted to extracting
data from the presence of encrypted transmissions, as opposed to
decrypting them. For example, the Germans could tell the size of an
upcoming B-17 raid by how many command sets were being tuned up that
afternoon. Another attack is the unclas headers: You say the
traffic from Eisenhower's headquarters just tripled?  What does
THAT mean?.....

See the Bodyguard of Lies, or any other book on Fortitude.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast.....wb8foz@mthvax.cs.miami.edu
& no one will talk to a host that's close............(305) 255-RTFM