[sci.military] internet or bitnet numbers for the military academies

ferrill@milton.u.washington.edu (Arther Ferrill) (06/28/90)

From: Arther Ferrill <ferrill@milton.u.washington.edu>
Office Phone:    (206) 543-4797
Home Phone:      (206) 282-6139

Does anyone know whether there are internet or bitnet numbers for the
military academies? I would like to have them for Annapolis, West
Point, the Air Force Academy and the Coast Guard Academy. I would also
appreciate the numbers (or addresses) for the Naval War College and
for the Command and General Staff School.  Thank you.

baldwin@cad.usna.mil (J.D. Baldwin) (06/29/90)

From:     "J.D. Baldwin" <baldwin@cad.usna.mil>
Arther Ferrill <ferrill@milton.u.washington.edu> writes:

>Does anyone know whether there are internet or bitnet numbers for the
>military academies? I would like to have them for Annapolis, West
>Point, the Air Force Academy and the Coast Guard Academy. I would also
>appreciate the numbers (or addresses) for the Naval War College and
>for the Command and General Staff School.  Thank you.

USNA:  Many machines, no one machine serves everybody.  If you need help
finding a specific person here, write me privately.  Network connections
to the outside are flaky at best.  For the most part, our link to the
outside world is

     cad.usna.mil   (cad.usna.navy.mil is more reliable)
     192.12.31.1

USMA:  Students are, mostly, found on trotter.usma.edu (129.29.64.245 or
134.240.2.1). They also have a machine called ranger.usma.edu (129.29.64.244).
There is also a buckshot.usma.edu (129.29.64.246).  I will refrain from
comment over the fact that usna is in the ".mil" domain, while usma is
in the ".edu" domain.  (Whoops, too late.)

USAFA:  usafa.af.mil (26.3.0.151) is the only domain server I have in my
ncsa config file.  This was, until recently, usafa.arpa.

USCGA:  They are on BITNET, and hence are simply USCGA.BITNET (138.29.0.0).

My understanding of the Naval War College's computer setups is that all of
them are certified for classified information storage, hence none have any
network connections of any kind.  This information is a couple of years old.
--
>From the catapult of:               |+| "If anyone disagrees with anything I
   _, J. D. Baldwin, Comp Sci Dept  |+| say, I am quite prepared not only to
 __||____:::)=}-  U.S. Naval Academy|+| retract it, but also to deny under
 \      / baldwin@cad.usna.navy.mil |+| oath that I ever said it." --T. Lehrer