[sci.military] Camoflage Lighting, etc

pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com (LEAVING 14 JULY, BACK 19 AUG) (06/27/90)

From: "LEAVING 14 JULY, BACK 19 AUG" <pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com>
Wilson Heydt, and others described the "antivisibility" lighting of patrol
planes during WWII.  The control of the intensity of the lighting was critical,
but the effect can be VERY good.  He also mentions white paint as camoflage.
I recall reading that during the smugglers heydey, between England and France,
say the mid 1700s, it was illegal to have a civilian boat painted white.  They
were too hard to see.

During WWII (time shift...) It was found that natural aluminum color was harder
for the search light crews to "see", as the light was scattered, rather than
providing a surface for the beam to "project onto".  As radar took over aiming
and detection, color became irrelavant, at least where radar was the prime
acquisition means.  Against "sighting device Mk I" color was still critical.

For camo historians, look for a copy of "The War Magician", by
<name_escapes_me>, perhaps Jasper Maskelyne?  He was a working stage magician,
who managed to get an assignment using his sleight of wit, and knowledge of
human nature, to fool the Axis.  (Hiding a war ship by building an OBVIOUSLY
FRAUDULENT ship over it.  And the only explanation of the CDL gear i have ever
seen.)

Henry Spencer proposes:

>The most effective missile attack against most any modern warship would
>not use a blast/frag warhead, but rather an incendiary warhead.  Remember
>HMS Sheffield, destroyed completely by an Exocet whose warhead did not
>detonate.  This form of attack might be quite effective even against a BB.

	If memory serves, the Sheffield was a fairly light ship, someone
(nicely, imo) characterized many modern ships as "brittle".  How true is this
of other /"all" vessels (According to AW&ST HMS Sheffield was NOT Aluminum
hulled, or the part that burned wasn't Aluminum, memory fades, can anybody
confirm, from a good, technical, source...)

thanks
dave pierson			|the facts, as accurately as i can manage,
Digital Equipment Corporation	|the opinions, my own.
600 Nickerson Rd
Marlboro, Mass
01752				pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com

"He has read everything, and, to his credit, written nothing"  A J Raffles

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>During WWII ... It was found that natural aluminum color was harder
>for the search light crews to "see", as the light was scattered, rather than
>providing a surface for the beam to "project onto"...

A related item of note is that the P-61 Black Widow (specialized night
fighter, superficially resembling a giant P-38) was painted *gloss* black,
after experiments showed that a flat black paint made the aircraft show
up as a black silhouette in a searchlight beam.

                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                          henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry