[sci.military] Palestinian Terrorist Organizations Have Nonconventional Weaponry

F2E010@BARILVM.BITNET (Don Goldenfarb) (06/05/90)

From: Don Goldenfarb <F2E010@BARILVM.BITNET>

>From Yediot Acharonot...May 10,1990

"Terrorists Have Bought Tens of Handgliders, Remote Control Drone
Airplanes, and They are Employing Microbiologists"

by Yohanan Lahav

Palestinian Terrorist organizations have bought tens of handgliders,
drones, and have microbiologists working for them, who are able to
produce biological weapons, reports Jane's Defense Weekly, in its latest
issue, which spends much time on the status of the Palestinian
terrorists and their preparedness to use nonconventional weaponry.

Arab countries, which produce nonconventional weapons, may give
these weapons to the terrorists so that they will use them in the
field, and the it will seem as though these states are not involved.
According to the Weekly, already in 1981 Syria bought 12 motorized
handgliders from East Germany, for the terrorist organizations of
Ahmed Jibril and Abu-Abbas.  The Soviets, East Germans, and the South
Americans trained the terrorists to use the handgliders.

Also Iraq bought items like these in France.  Yasser Arafat's
"Force 17" enlisted handglider pilots of various nationalities for
special operations, these include British, Irish, West Germans, and
Scandinavians.  Abu Abbas's organization, with the help of British
intermediaries, bought no less than 10 handgliders in 1985 and about
10 more last year.  Libya put French handgliders, that it had bought,
at the use of Abu Nidal and Ahmed Jibril, while Iran did so for the
Hizbullah.

The terrorists also have equipment for bacteriological experiments,
and they have already sent poisons of this type to chosen victims.
They may use this weapon with a time activated device, a remote
controlled device, or even by air with handgliders or drone aircraft.
The weekly also said that the terrorists may use these new weapons
to poison water sources.

ric@Think.COM (Rick Wheeler) (06/27/90)

From: ric@Think.COM (Rick Wheeler)

In article <1990Jun26.024941.15277@cbnews.att.com> phipps@solitary.Stanford.EDU (Geoff Phipps) writes:
>From: phipps@solitary.Stanford.EDU (Geoff Phipps)
>In article <1990Jun22.043337.28362@cbnews.att.com> F2E010%BARILVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Don Goldenfarb) writes:
>>
>>In late 1987, a member of a Palestinian group flew a hang-glider over the
>>Israeli border and manged to enter an IDF base.  I think he may have
>>killed 5 soldiers.

>Didn't that attack involve an ultra-light?  A hang glider is
>unpowered and has no control surfaces. An ultralight has a motor and
>control surfaces.

	By the above definition, the attack was carried out by an
"ultra-light" which was basically a hang glider with the addittion of a
small engine.  I believe that there was at least one other craft used that
night which did not manage to cross the Israeli border.  The successful
attacker's craft was detected as it crossed the border by its engine noise
and the entire Northern front was in a state of readiness at the time of
the incident, with the exception of the base that was actually hit.

	Having recently finished my mandatory service with the Israeli
army,  I can assure you that the incident is thought of as the prime
example of a military unit doing all of the wrong things after receiving
warning of a penetration.

			Rick Wheeler
			Thinking Machines Corporation

phipps@solitary.Stanford.EDU (Geoff Phipps) (06/28/90)

From: phipps@solitary.Stanford.EDU (Geoff Phipps)
In article <1990Jun27.021214.1907@cbnews.att.com> ric@Think.COM (Rick Wheeler) writes:
:
:In article <1990Jun26.024941.15277@cbnews.att.com> phipps@solitary.Stanford.EDU (Geoff Phipps) writes:
:>From: phipps@solitary.Stanford.EDU (Geoff Phipps)
:>In article <1990Jun22.043337.28362@cbnews.att.com> F2E010%BARILVM.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Don Goldenfarb) writes:
:>>
:>>In late 1987, a member of a Palestinian group flew a hang-glider over the
:>>Israeli border and manged to enter an IDF base.  I think he may have
:>>killed 5 soldiers.
:
:>Didn't that attack involve an ultra-light?  A hang glider is
:>unpowered and has no control surfaces. An ultralight has a motor and
:>control surfaces.
:
:	By the above definition, the attack was carried out by an
:"ultra-light" which was basically a hang glider with the addittion of a
:small engine.
[Deleted]

Okay, there is a third class which I didn't mention, which is often called
a "trike".  You take a hang glider, then attach a cage with a  motor and tricycle
undercarriage at the normal hang point.  The glider is still flown with weight
shift, but it does have a pusher propeller.  It sounds like this is
what it was.

Geoff Phipps
phipps@solitary.stanford.edu

jacob@abdallah.dtek.chalmers.se (Jacob Hallen) (06/29/90)

From: jacob@abdallah.dtek.chalmers.se (Jacob Hallen)
In article <1990Jun27.021214.1907@cbnews.att.com> ric@Think.COM (Rick Wheeler) writes:
:	By the above definition, the attack was carried out by an
:"ultra-light" which was basically a hang glider with the addittion of a
:small engine.  I believe that there was at least one other craft used that
:night which did not manage to cross the Israeli border.  The successful
:attacker's craft was detected as it crossed the border by its engine noise
:and the entire Northern front was in a state of readiness at the time of
:the incident, with the exception of the base that was actually hit.

The noise from the craft was detected by a position in the Norwegian UN
Battalion some 20 minutes before the border crossing. No alarm was raised
there since they assumed it to be a routine fly-over by an Israeli recon-drone.

Jacob Hallen