[sci.military] Typhoon Submarine & Janes All the World's....

bxr307@csc.anu.oz (06/27/90)

From: bxr307@csc.anu.oz
In article <1990Jun26.025038.15540@cbnews.att.com>, trb@cbbca.att.com (Thomas R Balent) writes:
:
: From: trb@cbbca.att.com (Thomas R Balent)
: In article <1990Jun24.233751.24564@cbnews.att.com> Michael Mayer <mm49@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu> writes:
:>
:>"The unique features of 'TYPHOON' are her enormous size and the fact
:>that the missile tubes are mounted forward of the fin."
: 						   ^^^
:>
:>(Quoted from JANE's FIGHTING SHIPS 89-90.)
:>
:
: If this is indeed a quote, then it must be because it is from Jane's
								^^^^^^
	That should be Janes, there is no apostrophe.  It is actually a man's
name (Ted Janes if my memory serves me correctly) who started publishing the
book at the end of the last century.

: (a British publication). Anyhow, the correct terminology is SAIL. On
: the old boats it was called the conning tower, but now it is known as
: the sail.

	I would have also thought, not only did the placing of the missile
silos forward of the sail make the Typhoon class unique, but also the
arrangement of the twin pressure hulls, side-by-side, rather than one-above-the
-other which is the norm in Western submarine designs.

Brian Ross

malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy) (06/28/90)

From: malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy)

In article <1990Jun27.021201.1835@cbnews.att.com> bxr307@csc.anu.oz writes:
>	I would have also thought, not only did the placing of the missile
>silos forward of the sail make the Typhoon class unique, but also the
>arrangement of the twin pressure hulls, side-by-side, rather than one-above-the
>-other which is the norm in Western submarine designs.

Until some hard data becomes available, the internal arrangement of
the pressure hull(s) in the Typhoon are a matter of some conjecture.
Also, the current conjecture is that there are _three_ pressure hulls --
two Delta-class pressure hulls side-by-side with a smaller pressure
hull above and between them under the sail (explaining the bulge at
the base of the sail) containing the bridge/CIC spaces.

 Sean Malloy                                   | "Making something difficult
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  | is no substitute for making
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      | it impossible."
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         |

tiwasawa@netxdev.DHL.COM (Takashi Iwasawa) (06/29/90)

From: tiwasawa@netxdev.DHL.COM (Takashi Iwasawa)

In article <1990Jun28.030204.20134@cbnews.att.com> malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy) writes:

>From: malloy@nprdc.navy.mil (Sean Malloy)
>
>In article <1990Jun27.021201.1835@cbnews.att.com> bxr307@csc.anu.oz writes:
>>	I would have also thought, not only did the placing of the missile
>>silos forward of the sail make the Typhoon class unique, but also the
>>arrangement of the twin pressure hulls, side-by-side, rather than one-above-the
>>-other which is the norm in Western submarine designs.
>
>Until some hard data becomes available, the internal arrangement of
>the pressure hull(s) in the Typhoon are a matter of some conjecture.
>Also, the current conjecture is that there are _three_ pressure hulls --
>two Delta-class pressure hulls side-by-side with a smaller pressure
>hull above and between them under the sail (explaining the bulge at
>the base of the sail) containing the bridge/CIC spaces.
>

> Sean Malloy

The Japanese I-400 class submarines of World War II had side-by-side
pressure hulls.  Counting the aircraft hanger as a third pressure
hull, they came very close to the supposed Typhoon configuration.
[I-400 class were built for carrying and launching floatplanes.  They
were  the biggest submarines in World War II.]

*** PLEASE NOTE!!! ***
Unfortunately, the email/netnews machine at my company is going
away as of the end of June.  The management has PROMISED to replace
it, but I will be unable to receive/send anything in the meanwhile.
So, if you have any posting or private communication that you think
I'll want to read, PLEASE save a copy.  When I get net access back,
I'll post another note here, and then you can email me anything you
want me to read.   THANK YOU!!!

Takashi Iwasawa                  /* Of course, these are all my opinions */
(703) 742-6631 (home)            /* except for the parts that are direct-*/
(703) 749-2768 (work)            /* ly quoted.  Net Express doesn't have */
Net Express Communications Inc.  /* any opinions on armor, battleships,  */
Vienna, Virginia                 /* or tanks.                            */