[sci.military] Military Cuts in Personnel

miles@ms.uky.edu (Stephen D. Grant) (06/29/90)

From: "Stephen D. Grant" <miles@ms.uky.edu>

I was wondering if in the wake of all the new stuff in Eastern Europe
and the other developments whether there will be major cutbacks in
the US military hiring practices and amounts hired. Would this decrease
be meated out even between officers and enlisted or is there some favoritism?

Miles

Stephen D. Grant, "Miles" | "I've had a few optional Extras Installed.." - 007
miles@s.ms.uky.edu        |
(President of the new chain stores "UZI's, AR-15's and HK94's R US")

jpulliam@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jacqueline Pulliam) (06/30/90)

From: jpulliam@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jacqueline Pulliam)
>From: "Stephen D. Grant" <miles@ms.uky.edu>
>
>I was wondering if in the wake of all the new stuff in Eastern Europe
>and the other developments whether there will be major cutbacks in
>the US military hiring practices and amounts hired. Would this decrease

Try this on for size:  from 770-odd-thousand to 520-odd-thousand
soldiers in the Army.  Of 16 active duty divisions, at least three and
possibly as many as six will be inactivated.  Yep, I'd say the
cutbacks are pretty major.  The _Army_Times_, a weekly newsmagazine
for soldiers, used to be full of stories about units, events, defense
trends, new weapons, etc.  For the past few months it has featured
nothing but "how to get a civilian job" articles.  I can't speak for
the AF and Nav/MC, but I'm sure they're in a similar situation.

>be meated out even between officers and enlisted or is there some favoritism?

I don't want this to be a flame, but where do you
get these ideas?  We stopped selling commissions and commands over a
hundred years ago, partner.  Officers now eat with the troops, and
both officer and enlisted will be leaving the ranks in roughly equal
proportions.

John Pulliam

morgan@ms.uky.edu (Wes Morgan) (06/30/90)

From: Wes Morgan <morgan@ms.uky.edu>

miles@ms.uky.edu (Stephen D. Grant) writes:
>I was wondering if in the wake of all the new stuff in Eastern Europe
>and the other developments whether there will be major cutbacks in
>the US military hiring practices and amounts hired. Would this decrease
>be meated out even between officers and enlisted or is there some favoritism?

Well, the US Army has been evaluating TOEs (Tables of Organization and
Equipment) for some time.  During my active service (early 1980s) the
rule of thumb enforced by MILPERCEN was "if the position isn't filled
for X months, and you do fine without it, it should be removed from
your TOE."  This had the effect of reducing possible assignments, and,
eventually, required personnel levels.  Other changes affecting personnel
levels included removing the medics from several line units (engineers,
artillery, et cetera) and centralizing a smaller number at a higher level.

I should think that a RIF <Reduction in Force, as you Vietnam-era vets
know> is likely some time in the next two years.  Forces in Germany are
almost certain to be reduced, as well as troops in South Korea.  I don't
think the RIF will cut more than about 10-15%, if that much.  Often, a
RIF is partially achieved by deactivating units, rather than arbitrarily
tossing people out; an entire unit is wiped, rather than setting some
arbitrary criteria.  Another, smaller number can be removed via mandatory
20-year retirement.   In addition, I believe that there is a provision in
the promotion regs that can force individuals to be terminated if they've
been passed over for promotion several times.

As far as the officer/enlisted ratio in a RIF, it would probably be close
to the general ratio for the entire force.  Can anyone provide some current
statistics?

Wes

--
    | Wes Morgan, not speaking for | {any major site}!ukma!ukecc!morgan |
    | the University of Kentucky's |        morgan@engr.uky.edu         |

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (06/30/90)

From: smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin)

In article <1990Jun29.025523.6892@cbnews.att.com>, miles@ms.uky.edu (Stephen D. Grant) writes:
> I was wondering if in the wake of all the new stuff in Eastern Europe
> and the other developments whether there will be major cutbacks in
> the US military hiring practices and amounts hired. Would this decrease
> be meated out even between officers and enlisted or is there some favoritism?

I heard one report the other day about a planned 25% cutback in personnel
levels by 1995, including a 7% cutback in the number of generals and
admirals....