[sci.military] NEW stealth unveiled!

wb9omc@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick) (06/27/90)

From: wb9omc@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick)

In our local paper on Saturday was a photograph (and article about) of the
Northrop YF-23, which is that company's entry in the bid for the ATF
(Advanced Technology Fighter) contract.  Lockheed also has one called the
YF-22, no photograph seen YET - expect it soon.

ATF is claimed as being a successor to the F15.  The ATF *IS* supposed
to be a supersonic fighter with some Stealth characteristics.

The photograph shocked the heck out of me because with only a few variations,
it looked VERY VERY much like the Testor Corporations model of their
so-called F19 Stealth Fighter!  (odd too that F-19 is very close to
F-22 or 23 in the scheme of things - coincidence? Or possibly good
contacts at Testors....) While Testors had the vertical stabs. angled
IN, the Northrop plane has them angled OUT at what appears to be close to
the same angle.

I have no way of knowing if the photo was retouched or not, but if not,
the wing planform of the YF-23 looks also very much like the Testors kit.
The body shape is, in a sense, reminiscent of the SR71 in that there
appears (perhaps, how much can you really see in a newspaper photo?) to
be a semi-cylindrical core for a fuselage and something resembling the
SR's chines attached to it.

Now for the fun.  The thing supposedly costs $51 million EACH, as in,
PER PLANE!  Boy, the congress is going to have a field day with that one!

I can't wait to see the Lockheed YF-22.....will it be a "lineage" type
of plane that could be considered a descendant of the aforementioned
SR-71?  (or perhaps more accurately, the YF-12a?)

Hmmmm......

Duane

orac@chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Giovacchini) (06/28/90)

From: Paul Giovacchini <orac@chinet.chi.il.us>
In article <1990Jun27.021129.1686@cbnews.att.com> wb9omc@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick) writes:

>In our local paper on Saturday was a photograph (and article about) of the
>Northrop YF-23, which is that company's entry in the bid for the ATF
>(Advanced Technology Fighter) contract.  Lockheed also has one called the
>YF-22, no photograph seen YET - expect it soon.

	Reference:  Popular Science, August 1990, p.14, top of page.

 Both the YF-23 and the YF-22 are pictured.

 ----
           -Paul Giovacchini        |   "  Think you are having a bad day?
       ( orac\@chinet.chi.il.us )   |   I just fried 2 computers and a cat! "

twb@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU (Tony Basaranowicz) (06/29/90)

From: twb@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU (Tony Basaranowicz)

orac@chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Giovacchini) writes:

< Stuff deleted >

>	Reference:  Popular Science, August 1990, p.14, top of page.
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^

How'd you manage that? With a DeLorean? :-)

--------- Snail Mail -------------- Phone (Aust.) ----------- InterNet --------
Tony Basaranowicz, TA2,         | BH: (03) 660 3204 | twb@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU
Dept. of Comp. Sci.,            |                   | twb@yallara.cs.rmit.OZ.AU
Royal Melbourne Institute       |                   |
   of Technology,               |                   |
124 Latrobe Street, Melbourne,  |                   |
3001, Victoria, Australia.      |                   |

woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) (06/30/90)

From: eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)

In article <1990Jun29.025840.7710@cbnews.att.com> twb@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU (Tony Basaranowicz) writes:

>>	Reference:  Popular Science, August 1990, p.14, top of page.
>
>How'd you manage that? With a DeLorean? :-)

the same way we already have '91 automobiles on the lots...

a business/marketing major with a pen can even transcend time!

/***   woody   ****************************************************************
*** ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I...            ***
*** -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                            ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/

orac@chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Giovacchini) (06/30/90)

From: Paul Giovacchini <orac@chinet.chi.il.us>
In article <1990Jun29.025840.7710@cbnews.att.com> twb@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU (Tony Basaranowicz) writes:

>From: twb@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU (Tony Basaranowicz)
>orac@chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Giovacchini) writes:
>< Stuff deleted >
>
>>	Reference:  Popular Science, August 1990, p.14, top of page.
>
>How'd you manage that? With a DeLorean? :-)

	Subscription my friend!  Cover story is on Sunracers ( for all those
 who get their mags 2 months late! )  There is also a great article about
 the new Seawolf class sub ( well, best they can do without looking at the
 actual ship. ).
 ----