[sci.military] Magazine dating

wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) (07/02/90)

From: wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr)

In article <1990Jun30.054032.4920@cbnews.att.com>,
pierson@cimnet.enet.dec.com said:

> > > Reference:  Popular Science, August 1990, p.14, top of page.
> >
> > How'd you manage that? With a DeLorean? :-)
>
> Magazine dates are at best tenuously related to
> calendar_date_of_publication.

Not that this really has much to do with sci.mil, but... most magazine
dating conventions are leftovers from the era in which the majority of
magazine sales were done via the newsstand rather than subscription.
The date on the cover of an issue was not the date that the issue was
published but rather the date on which the the vendor was supposed to
yank all remaining unsold copies of the issue from his shelves to make
way for the next one.  (Obviously this didn't apply to specialty mags
whose cover dates were strongly connected to their contents, such as
TV Guide.)  Thus the August issue is the one that's supposed to sit on
the shelves during the month of July... and I guess it's not _too_
surprising that that issue would show up in a subscriber's mailbox a
bit in advance of July 1st.

[mod.note:  This certainly does have nothing to do with sci.military,
but at least it will put a stop to this thread ! 8-)  - Bill ]

--
William December Starr <wdstarr@athena.mit.edu>

    "It is our belief, however, that serious professional users will
     run out of things they can do with UNIX.  They'll want a real
     system and will end up doing VMS when they get to be serious about
     programming."
                            -- Ken Olsen, President of DEC, 1984