[sci.military] toshiba and sub technology transfer

palenste@umbc3.umbc.edu (Mr. William Palenste) (06/29/90)

From: palenste@umbc3.umbc.edu (Mr. William Palenste)

A blast from the past....

How did the fact that Toshiba sold sub technology to the Soviet Union
come to light?  Email will do. Thanks.

bill

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (07/02/90)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
>From article <1990Jun29.025904.7820@cbnews.att.com>, by palenste@umbc3.umbc.edu (Mr. William Palenste):
>
> How did the fact that Toshiba sold sub technology to the Soviet Union
> come to light?  Email will do. Thanks.

According to the Washington Post & Washington Times, it was the
CIA's Technology Transfer Division that produced the report. The
director was named, one Guy Dubois.

How it got into the papers, I'm not sure (can't find original story).
Sen. Garn was the big guy in Congress pushing for sanctions; the
White House did not want sanctions.

Seems it died down quickly after that. There were several additional
revelations about sales of microelectronics and some other COCOM
contraband. Sanctions were not imposed.

Pat Kauffold AT&T Bell Labs Naperville