[net.followup] cure for hate mail

551rcg@hound.UUCP (R.GANNS) (02/22/85)

Have any recipients of obnoxious mail tried sending copies of the
mail to the site administrator where the mail originated?

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (The Phantom) (02/26/85)

In article <943@hound.UUCP> 551rcg@hound.UUCP (R.GANNS) writes:
>Have any recipients of obnoxious mail tried sending copies of the
>mail to the site administrator where the mail originated?

This assumes that 1) the SA cares, and 2) the sender of the mail isn't the
SA. Both cases happen, unfortunately. Unless the offending mail is REALLY
bad, probably the best thing to do is send it to /dev/null and not risk
overreacting. If it IS really bad, the first step should be discussing it
with the sender, and suggesting that they tone things down. If that fails,
the SA should be contacted, but remember that this might potentially put a
persons educational standing or job on the line if it isn't handled
properly (by you or the SA) so I'd be careful with that approach. Dealing
with things informally is always the best way when possible.

Senders of flames and rude mail should note the above paragraph. If copies
of your rudeness DO get to your SA, you might be liable for disciplinary
action within your own firm-- everyone should be careful-- things do have a
tendency to come back and roost.

chuq
--
From behind the eight ball:                       Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

We'll be recording at the Paradise Friday night. Live, on the Death label.