[sci.military] Rate of fire of missiles

adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (07/03/90)

From: Adrian Hurt <adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk>

In article <1990Jun29.025336.6452@cbnews.att.com> gwh%earthquake.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) writes:

>In article <1990Jun28.025720.18921@cbnews.att.com> bxr307@csc.anu.oz writes:
>>
>>	Surely a better determinant of rate of fire of a missile launcher using
>>a semi-active guidance system that the Standard missile does is the number of
>>missiles that can be guided at the same time towards a target?

Another factor is how the launcher is reloaded.  A couple of weeks ago, our
local naval base had an open day, and one of the ships on show was a Type 22
frigate, the Brazen.  Among other things, such ships mount six-barreled
Sea Wolf missile launchers.  When the six missiles have been fired, the
launcher is reloaded.  What goes on below decks, I didn't find out, but the
missiles come through a hatch onto the forward deck, and have to be loaded
into the launcher using some sailors and a trolley!

As I commented to one sailor there, "The idea was supposed to be that machines
do the boring jobs, and humans do the interesting ones.  Here it seems to be
reversed - humans get the boring stuff, like loading, while computers get the
interesting bit, firing the missiles!"

 "Keyboard?  How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk