[sci.military] US Navy Reading List

mlfisher@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (07/06/90)

From: mlfisher@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu
In article <1990Jul5.020406.13935@cbnews.att.com>, greg@anacapa.ncel.navy.mil (Gregory K. Ramsey) writes:
> From: greg@anacapa.ncel.navy.mil (Gregory K. Ramsey)
>
> Does anyone know of an official or unofficial US Navy reading
> list?
> --
>From "The Naval Officer's Guide"  Ninth edition published by Naval Institute
Press, 1983.

Recommended Professional Reading

The following list of books is recommended to all naval officers in their first
three years of service:

Bissel, A.M., D.J. Livingston, and E.J. oertel.  "Shipboard Damage Control".
Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1976.

Britton, B.H. "International Law for Seagoing Officers".  Annapolis: Naval
Institute Press, 1981.

Byrne, E.  "Military Law". 3rd ed.  Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1970.

Corse, C.D.  "Introduction to Shipboard Weapons".  Annapoolis: Naval Institute
Press, 1975.

Crenshaw, R.S.  "Naval Shiphandling".  4th ed.  Annapolis: Naval Institute
Press, 1975.

Day, C.L.   "The Art of Knotting and Splicing".  Annapolis: Naval Institute
Press, 1970.

Deuterman, P.T.  "Ops Officer's Manual".  Annapolis: Naval Institute Press,
1980.

Dodge, D.O., and S.E. Kyrss.  "Seamanship".  Annapolis: Naval Institute Press,
1981.

Gritzen, E.F.  "Introduction to Naval Engineering".  Annapolis: Naval Institute
Press, 1980.

Henderson, R.  "Sail and Power".  Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1979.

Hobbs, R.R.  "Marine Navigation I and II".   Annapolis: Naval Institute Press,
1981.

Jacobsen, K.C.  "Watch Officer's Guide".  11th ed.  Annapolis: Naval Institute
Press, 1979.

Kotsch, W.J.  "Weather for the Mariner".  Annapolis: Naval Institute Press,
1977.

Mack, W.P., and A.H. Konetzni.  "Command at Sea".  Annapolis: Naval Institute
Press, 1982.

maloney, E.S.  "Dutton's Navigation and Piloting".  Annapolis: Naval Institute
Press, 1980.

Operations Analysis Study Group. U.S. Naval Academy.  "Naval Operations
Analysis".  Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1977.

Pemsel, H.A.  "A History of War at Sea".  Annapolis: Naval Institute Press,
1966.

Ruge, F.  "The Soviets as Naval Oponents".  Annapolis: Naval Institute Press,
1979.

Seager, R.  "Alfred Thayer Mahan: The Man and His Letters".  Annapolis: Naval
Institute Press, 1977.

Swartz, O.D.  "Service Etiquette".  3rd ed.  Annapolis: Naval Institute Press,
1977.

Symonds, C.L.  "New Aspects of Naval History".  Annapolis: Naval Institute
Press, 1981.

Tate, W.H.  "A Mariner's Guide to the Rules of the Road".  Annapolis: Naval
Institute Press, 1982.

Winters, D.D.  "The Boat Officer's Handbook".  Annapolis: Naval Institute
Press, 1981.

Wylie, F.J.  "The Use of Radar at Sea". 5th ed.  Annapolis: Naval Institute
Press, 1978.

U.S. Government Publications

"Personnel Management".  NAVEDTRA 10848_E.
"Standard Organization and Regulations of the U.S. Navy".
"Unrestricted Line Officer Career Guidebook".  NAVPERS 15197A.
"U.S. Navy Regulations".  1973.

Recommended Reading in Liberal Arts

The following reading list indicates the range of areas covered by an
undergraduate in a typical American liberal arts curriculum.  The Officer who
wishes to benefit from a liberal arts education should finish the books on
this list - or other books in the same general areas - within three years.
Reading in world literature and a sampling of various biographies should
supplement the following books.

Political Science/Foreign Affairs

Almond, G.A.  "The American People and Foreign Policy".  New York and London:
Praeger, 1970.

Collins, J.M.  "Grand Strategy".  Annapolis: Naval Institute Press, 1973.

Cremeans, C.D.  "The Arabs and the World" .  New York: Praeger, 1973.

George, J.L.  "Problems of Sea Power As We Approach the Twenty-First Centuty".
American Enterprise Institute for Foreign Policy Research, 1978.

Goodspeed, S.S.  "The Nature and Function of International Organizations".  New
York: Oxford University Press, 1968.

Goodwin, R.A.  "Readings in American Foreign Policy".  New York: Oxford
University Press, 1959.

Hofstadter, R.  "American Political Tradition".  New York: Random House, 1968.

Kennan, G.F.  "Russia and the West".  New York: Mentor Books, 1961.

Kissenger, H.A.  "The Necessity of Choice".  New York: Doubleday, 1962.

Marx, K, and F. Engels.  "The Communist Manifesto".  New York: Appleton Century
Crofts, 1955.

Millis, W.  "Arms and Men".  New York: Mentor, 1956.

Nicholas, H.G.  "The United NAtions as a Political Institution".  New York:
Oxford University Press, 1970.

Niebuhr, R.  "The Structue of Nations and Empires".  New York: Scribner, 1959.

Padelford, N.J., and R. Emerson.  "Africa and World Poer".  New York: Praeger,
1963.

Spanier, J.  "Americam Foreign Policy since World War II".  New York: Praeger,
1962.

Stoessinger, J.G.  "The Might of Nations".  New York: Random House, 1963.

Taylor, M.D.  "New Dynamics in International Strategy".  New York: Crowell Co.,
1968.

Treadgold, D.M.  "The Development of the USSR".  Seattle: University of
Washington Press, 1964.

Utechin, W.  "Russian Political Thought", New York: Praeger, 1963.

You may want to substitute more current reading for some of the forgoing books.
Reading in news magazines such as "U.S. News and World Report" and either
"Newsweek" or "Time" is valuable.  Comprehensive examinations given for a
master's degree in international affairs at George Washington University derive
almost fifty percent of their examination material from these periodicals.

Psychology/Philosophy/Religion

Bourke, V.J.  "The Pocket Aquinas".  New York:  Washington Square Press, 1960.

Butterfield, H.  "Christianity and History".  New York: Scribner, 1950.

Lippman, W.  "The Public Philosophy".  New York: Mentor, 1955.

Merrlow, J.A.M.  "The Rape of the Mind".  New York: Grosset and Dunlap, 1961.

Peterson, H.  "Essays in Philosophy".  New York: Pocket Library, 1959.

Sahakian, W.S., and M.L. Sahakian.  "Ideas of the Great Philosophers".  New
York: Barnum and Noble, 1966.

Temple, W.  "Nature, Mind and God".  London:  Macmillan, 1960.

Thoreau, H.D.  "On Man and Nature".  New York: Piper Press, 1960.

Tillich, P.  "The Dynamics of Faith".  New York: Harper and Row, 1957.

Cultural Anthropology

Berelson, B., and G. Steiner.  "Human Behavior".  New York: Harcourt Brace,
1964.

Shapiro, H.L.  "Man, Culture, and Society".  New York: Oxford University Press,
1960.

Titiev, M.  "Cultural Anthropology".  New York: Holt and Co., 1959.

English

Abrams, M.H., den. ed. "The Norton Anthology of English Literature".  2 vols.
New York: Norton, 1974.

Hayakawa, S.I.  "Language in Action".  New York: Harcourt Brace, 1941.

Strunk, W., and E.B. White.  "The Elements of Style".  3rd ed.  New York:
Macmillan, 1979.

History

Durant, W., and A. Durant.  "The Story of Civilization".  11 vols.  New York:
Simon and Schuster, 1954-75.

Wells, H.G.  "The Outline of History".  2 vols.  New York: Garden City Books,
1949.

Economics

Ferguson, C.E., and J.M. Kreps.  "Principles of Economics".  New York: Holt,
Rhinehart, 1962.

Grossman, M.C.  "Readings in Current Economics".  Homewood, Illinois: Irwin,
1961.

Hirshman, A.O.  "The Strategy of Economic Development".  New Haven: Yale
University Press, 1961.

Meier, G.M., and R.E. Baldwin.  "Economic Development".  New York: Wiley and
Sons, 1962.

Millikan, M.F., and D.L.M. Blackmer.  "The Emerging Nations".  Boston: Little,
Brown, 1961.

Montgomery, J.M.  "The Politics of Foreign Aid".  New York: Praeger, 1962.

Rostow, W.W.  "The Stages of Economic Growth".  Cambridge: The University
Press, 1962.

A lot of these books are more than twenty years old.  I would imagine updated
material is now available.

Mike