[sci.military] Reloading

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (07/05/90)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU

In article <1990Jul3.031818.6630@cbnews.att.com> adrian@cs.heriot-watt.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) writes:

>Another factor is how the launcher is reloaded. A couple of weeks ago,
>our local naval base had an open day, and one of the ships on show was
>a Type 22 frigate, the Brazen. Among other things, such ships mount
>six-barreled Sea Wolf missile launchers. When the six missiles have
>been fired, the launcher is reloaded. What goes on below decks, I
>didn't find out, but the missiles come through a hatch onto the
>forward deck, and have to be loaded into the launcher using some
>sailors and a trolley!

The situation in the USN is similar. Certain launchers which have some
number of rounds stored in canisters or cells in the mount itself.
After those are gone, it's a lengthy manual process to get them
reloaded. I think the designers felt, among the various tradeoffs to
be made, quick reloading was not important due to the nature of the
weapon system. US lauchers in this category include Mk29 NATO Sea
Sparrow launcher and Mk32 torpedo launcher.

The Mk29 has got 8 Sea Sparrows in cells. The weapon is designed for
(short-range) point defense. It can fire a missile once every two
seconds. But the associated Mk91 director (probably queued by TAS
Mk23) can direct only two missiles at once at a single target. (On
carriers, there are two Mk91s per Mk29.) Since its a point defense
weapon, you aren't going to be able to get too many shots at those
incoming ASMs. So for a single engagement, 8 might not be too bad. But
if there were waves in quick succession (still better than if they
came all at once!) you might run out. In the USN, reloading is
done by hand. (Canada developed some type of autoloader.)

The Mk32 is a triple torpedo tube mount which launches ASW torpedos.
Generally, you can only put one homing torpedo in the water at once
because another one will interfere with the first. Each one has to run
its course before launching another. The range of the Mk46 torpedo is
around 6nm, so sub has to be pretty close to use this thing. Maybe 3
torpedos might not be so bad. Generally speaking, ships which have the
Mk32 have one on either side of the ship. Reloading is done by hand.

On the other hand, other launchers have an automated loader which
feeds rounds from a magazine. But once the magazine is empty, you
either have to find a replenishment ship or go back to port. Examples
of this sort include the Mk13, Mk26 and Mk41. All of these launchers
are designed to fire longer range SAMs, so a good supply of ready
missiles in the magazine is a requirement.

The Mk13 is a single arm launcher. It takes about 10 seconds per cycle
to return to loading position, stick a missile on the rail and slew to
the proper bearing and fire. The Mk26 is a dual arm launcher and does
the same for both arms in 10 seconds. Magazine size for Mk13 on O.H.
Perry is 40 missiles. The Mk26 magazines on Aegis cruisers carry 44
missiles. To load these things, you need open a hatch and put the
missiles onto a loading rail. IMHO, hard to do without crane and calm
seas.

Mk41 is the vertical launch system and it uses modules of 8 cells, to
form either 29 or 61 cell systems (3 cells are taken up by a loader
crane). Rate of fire is one per two seconds. To reload you want to pop
out the fired cell and stick a new one in. It does have a crane built
in, but still I imagine its a tedious process.

-ted

Ted Kim
UCLA Computer Science Department  Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
3804C Boelter Hall                UUCP:    ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
Los Angeles, CA 90024		  Phone:   (213) 206-8696

terryr@ogicse.ogc.edu (Terry Rooker) (07/06/90)

From: terryr@ogicse.ogc.edu (Terry Rooker)
In article <1990Jul5.020313.13721@cbnews.att.com> tek@CS.UCLA.EDU writes:

>Mk41 is the vertical launch system and it uses modules of 8 cells, to
>form either 29 or 61 cell systems (3 cells are taken up by a loader
>crane). Rate of fire is one per two seconds. To reload you want to pop
>out the fired cell and stick a new one in. It does have a crane built
>in, but still I imagine its a tedious process.

It is very tedious.  There was an article (in USNI Proceedings, I
believe) about the difficulty in this procedure.  It is so difficult
that it virtually precludes underway replenishment.  Given the state
of the current ammo handling UNREP equipment it is not clear how the
replacement missiles will be staged on the deck before they are
lowered into place.  An additional complication is the lack of
magazines (by definition) for the vertical launchers.  Each round must
be brought onboard and stowed directly into the launcher.  Without
magazines and ammo handling areas, there isn't even any place to
temporarily stow the missiles.  Well I gues you could alsways leave
them lying on the deck :-)

--
Terry Rooker
terryr@cse.ogi.edu

al.weaver@rose.uucp (07/06/90)

From: al.weaver@rose.uucp

tek@#S.UCLA.EDU  writes:

>The Mk32 is a triple torpedo tube mount which launches ASW torpedos.
>Generally, you can only put one homing torpedo in the water at once
>because another one will interfere with the first. Each one has to run
>its course before launching another. The range of the Mk46 torpedo is
>around 6nm, so sub has to be pretty close to use this thing. Maybe 3
>torpedos might not be so bad. Generally speaking, ships which have the
>Mk32 have one on either side of the ship. Reloading is done by hand.

So that's why I can only fire one torpedo at a time in 688 Attack Sub!
It  was  long  wait to find out if the torpedo hit, and by then the Kirov
destroyer would have got within depth charge range  and  would  blow  one
to  smithereens!   I  was used to firing a spread in Silent Service.  One
would usually hit. :-)

Regards, Al

al.weaver@rose.uucp

--- MaS Relayer v1.00.00
 Message gatewayed by MaS Network Software and Consulting/HST
 Internet: al.weaver@rose.uucp
 UUCP:     ...tmsoft!masnet!rose!al.weaver