[sci.military] Liberty Ships

doug@daswk2.llnl.gov (Douglas S. Miller) (07/08/90)

From: doug@daswk2.llnl.gov (Douglas S. Miller)
I am getting married in May and we plan to have the ceremony and the
reception on the SS Jeremiah O'Brian, reportedly the sole surviving
Liberty Ship from WWII that is still in its original operating condition.
Can anyone out there give me a brief history of these ships or
references towards same?

Doug Miller	doug@das.llnl.gov	or	doug@[128.115.41.1]

jimkent@uunet.UU.NET (Jim Kent) (07/09/90)

From: apple!well.sf.ca.us!well!jimkent@uunet.UU.NET (Jim Kent)

doug@daswk2.llnl.gov (Douglas S. Miller) writes:

:I am getting married in May and we plan to have the ceremony and the
:reception on the SS Jeremiah O'Brian, reportedly the sole surviving
:Liberty Ship from WWII that is still in its original operating condition.
:Can anyone out there give me a brief history of these ships or
:references towards same?

I would think that the best source of that info would be on
the Jeremiah itself, but I haven't been on board lately.
   Jim

raymond%europa@uunet.UU.NET (Raymond Man) (07/10/90)

From: raymond%europa@uunet.UU.NET (Raymond Man)

In <1990Jul8.053547.8339@cbnews.att.com> Douglas S. Miller asked about
 Liberty Ships. I have no reference, but from an engineering class,
I learnt that they were mass produced to make up the convoy across the
Alantic. The hull is all welded to speed production. But a very strange
structural failure mode happened later. The hull suddenly broke up in
two in calm water, eg. inside harbor, at near freezing temperature. This
lead to the development of the field of Fracture Mecahnics. Near zero
temperature is sufficient to lower the fracture toughness of steel which
is then so brittle that catastrophic failure can occur following the
initiation of even a small crack. The seamless joints of the all-welded
hull allowed the cracks to go all the way through and break the ship in
half.
Just call me `Man'.
"And why take ye thought for "    --   Matt. 6:28
raymond@jupiter.ame.arizona.edu

[mod.note;  The phenomenon is known as the "ductile-brittle transition."
The ductile-brittle transition temperature of steel depends upon the
chemical composition, and it was found at that time that proper alloying
additions could decrease this transition temperature and solve the
problem.   A more modern implementation took place when designing
steels for use in the trans-Alaskan pipeline.  - Bill ]

mcgrath@nprdc.navy.mil (James McGrath) (07/10/90)

From: mcgrath@nprdc.navy.mil (James McGrath)

In article <1990Jul8.053547.8339@cbnews.att.com> doug@daswk2.llnl.gov (Douglas S. Miller) writes:

>Can anyone out there give me a brief history of these ships or
>references towards same?

There is one book in print about the history of liberty ships, which I
saw in our library a few years ago, but I don't recall the author.
However, I sailed on a liberty ship during World War II and can tell you
a few things about them:

The EC-2, or liberty ship, was originally a British design, but was
built primarily by Americans.  It was intended as an emergency cargo
ship--that is, one that could be quickly and cheaply built and that
would carry a substantial cargo.  Henry Kaiser, an American
industrialist who had never built a ship, designed the revolutionary
shipbuilding methods that allowed liberties to be built quickly by
relatively unskilled labor, including thousands of housewives who went
to work in the shipyards.  By using production line methods, modular
design, job breakdown techniques, all-welded construction, and other
methods Kaiser designed a production process that allowed these ships to
be built in about 100 days.  By the end of the war about 4500 liberties
were launched.

A liberty ship displaced about 14,000 tons and could move 10,000 tons of
cargo at a rated speed of 11 knots.  In practice, most liberties moved
at 10 knots or less.  They were manned by 37 civilians and an armed
guard of 26 U.S. Navy gunners.  These were armed merchantmen: 4-inch gun
on the bow, 5-inch gun on the stern cabin, eight 20-mm cannon for air
defense.  I can tell you they were absolutely Spartan and comfortless
ships and had no modern equipment such as autopilot steering or radar.
The liberty ship design had a structural flaw that often caused it to
break in two.  I saw no less than six liberties broken cleanly in two at
the same place: just forward of the midship house.  But the liberty
served its purpose--replacing the multitude of merchant ships sunk early
in the war and moving the massive volume of supplies throughout the
major theaters of war.

Now I have a question for you netters.  I'd like to get a copy of the
log of the liberty ship I sailed during the war.  Logs of naval vessels
can be seen at the National Archives in Washington.  Does anybody know
how to get access to the log of a merchant ship?  (The shipping company
no longer exists.)