[sci.military] Reefer Spaces?

wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) (07/11/90)

From: wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr)

In article <1990Jul10.024805.10027@cbnews.att.com>,
cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) said in re roving fire
watches on naval vessels:

> During the day (when people are working in the spaces), the
> watches only go into the uninhabited spaces (voids); at night,
> each space is supposed to be visited on every watch (4 hours),
> and some are visited hourly (for readings, like reefer spaces,
> etc.).                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Okay, I give up.  Assuming that "reefer spaces" aren't special
areas which the Navy has thoughtfully provided for the consumption
of marijuana :-), just what are they?
--
William December Starr <wdstarr@athena.mit.edu>

    The Third Commandment of the Frisbee:

        "One must never precede any maneuver by a
         comment more predictive than `Watch this!'"

                        -- Dan Roddick, editor of "Frisbee World"

wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) (07/13/90)

From: wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr)

In article <1990Jul11.025603.23934@cbnews.att.com>,
wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr) said:

> Okay, I give up.  Assuming that "reefer spaces" aren't special
> areas which the Navy has thoughtfully provided for the consumption
> of marijuana :-), just what are they?

My thanks to all those sci.mil folks (six so far, and the cards and
letters keep on coming) who emailed me that "reefer" is slang for
"refrigeration" and that therefore "reefer spaces" are refrigerated
areas which must be periodically checked on to make sure that they're
still cold.  (I kinda liked my interpretation better, though... :-)
--
William December Starr <wdstarr@athena.mit.edu>

zimmer@cod.nosc.mil (Thomas L. Zimmerman) (07/13/90)

From: zimmer@cod.nosc.mil (Thomas L. Zimmerman)

>From article <1990Jul11.025603.23934@cbnews.att.com>, by wdstarr@athena.mit.edu (William December Starr):
>

> Okay, I give up.  Assuming that "reefer spaces" aren't special
> areas which the Navy has thoughtfully provided for the consumption
> of marijuana :-), just what are they?
> --
Reefer spaces = refrigerators.  One of the more important considerations
on a naval vessel that will be underway for days or weeks without
replenishment.  On my frigate there are two freezers that are about 100
square feet and a fridge that is about 200 square feet.

[mod.note:  Frost-free, I presume, but does it have an ice-cube
dispenser in the door ?  8-)  - Bill ]

--
Lee Zimmerman, Naval Ocean Systems Center, Code 421, San Diego, CA, 92152
{arpa,mil}net: zimmer@nosc.mil