[sci.military] posting to sci.military

stefan@taupe.stanford.edu (Stefan Michalowski) (07/16/90)

From: stefan@taupe.stanford.edu (Stefan Michalowski)

Can anyone point me in the direction of a reference or information
relating to the systems aspects of delivering and dispersing chemical
weapons via short-range ballistic missiles (e.g. Lance, Soviet SS-21 or
Scud).  The principal focus is to try to understand the incentives for
using missiles to deliver CW reagents vis. advanced strike aircraft.  Our
guess is that aircraft make more sense for CW delivery against troops
or, as instruments of terror, against population centers because of the
difficulty of effective dispersal of CW from high-speed reentry vehicles.

BTW, this is for a study at Stanford on the proliferation of ballistic
missiles to the developing world.  Thanks in advance.

John Harvey
Center for International Security and Arms Control
Stanford University
harvey@taupe.stanford.edu

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (07/17/90)

From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)
In article <1990Jul16.030942.5637@cbnews.att.com>, stefan@taupe.stanford.edu (Stefan Michalowski) writes:

>Can anyone point me in the direction of a reference or information
>relating to the systems aspects of delivering and dispersing chemical
>weapons via short-range ballistic missiles (e.g. Lance, Soviet SS-21 or
>Scud).  The principal focus is to try to understand the incentives for
>using missiles to deliver CW reagents vis. advanced strike aircraft.  Our
>guess is that aircraft make more sense for CW delivery against troops
>or, as instruments of terror, against population centers because of the
>difficulty of effective dispersal of CW from high-speed reentry vehicles.

It depends on how sophisticated your warhead technology is (oops, this
should be informational; no indexed references here, but I'm going on...).
If you had something suitably sophisticated to burst at 500 feet above ground
level, you could probably get a decent dispersal. Efficient, no, decent
to cause harm, yes.

Besides, early warning time and defense against RVs is minimal when you
compare it to a modern aircraft. Maybe 20 minutes from the time you turn the
key, and you have to fly your cargo into the target area without getting
shot down.