[sci.military] Space Gun

mongol@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kevin A Geiselman) (07/18/90)

From: Kevin A Geiselman <mongol@unix.cis.pitt.edu>

The 5 May 1990 issue of 'The Economist' has an article on the space gun, that
wonderfully simple concept that the Iraqi's were trying to build a few months
back.

The practical idea of building a cannon which could achieve escape velocities
(7000 m/s) was developed by Dr. Gerald Bull, a canadian scientist assassinated
in March, likely as a result of his involvement with the Iraqi's project.

My questions to the net: does anyone have any information about Dr. Bull's
space gun first hand? That is; can anyone find any books, papers, or journal
articles authored by Dr. Bull about his gun? I had heard that he has written
a book on the topic but all I've been able to find are periodical articles that
deal with is death and mention the gun. I'm looking for technical stuff here.

  Kevin A. Geiselman     Internet : mongol@unix.cis.pitt.edu
                                  : mongol@pittvms.bitnet
   (412) 241-5447	  US Mail : 301 Overdale Rd. Pittsburgh, PA 15221-4435

pspod@kira.lerc.nasa.gov (Steve Podleski) (07/24/90)

From: pspod@kira.lerc.nasa.gov (Steve Podleski)
In article <1990Jul18.040721.13911@cbnews.att.com> mongol@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kevin A Geiselman) writes:

>From: Kevin A Geiselman <mongol@unix.cis.pitt.edu>
>
>The 5 May 1990 issue of 'The Economist' has an article on the space gun, that
>wonderfully simple concept that the Iraqi's were trying to build a few months
>back.
>
>The practical idea of building a cannon which could achieve escape velocities
>(7000 m/s) was developed by Dr. Gerald Bull, a canadian scientist assassinated
>in March, likely as a result of his involvement with the Iraqi's project.
>
>My questions to the net: does anyone have any information about Dr. Bull's
>space gun first hand? That is; can anyone find any books, papers, or journal
>articles authored by Dr. Bull about his gun? I had heard that he has written
>a book on the topic but all I've been able to find are periodical articles that
>deal with is death and mention the gun. I'm looking for technical stuff here.

The papers mentioned below deals with Bull's work in the late 60's and early
70's:

G.V. Bull and C.H. Murphy
Review of the Hiogh Altitude Research Program (HARP)
Paper given in the conference "The Fluid Dynamics Aspects of Ballistics"
AGARD Conference Proceedings No. 10, 5-8 Sept. 1966

NASA is considering the use of a gun of about 18" diameter to study hypersonic
flight (15 km/sec). This gun would fire a projectile horizontally through a
covered range 1000 to 2000 ft. in length.  This range could have any test gas
of interest e.g. air, CO2.