[sci.military] Multiple weapons delivery...

scott%sting.Berkeley.EDU@ (Scott Silvey) (07/18/90)

From: scott%sting.Berkeley.EDU@ (Scott Silvey)

Is it possible for a 2-crew bomber with an advanced "360 degree"
  laser designator to guide an in-flight weapon while
  simultaneously dropping unguided ordinace ballistically on
  another target?  If this is not possible, is it because of
  either (1) avioncs/weapon systems limitations or (2) the fact
  that this is way too complicated for an air crew to perform
  under fire?

This sounds sort of crazy to me but what I envision is for
  something like an F-111 with PAVETACK in a (common?) situation
  where it needs to release a lot of ordinance on several targets
  in a short period of time.  Since you want to minimize the
  time near the target, you only want to make one fly-by per
  aircraft.  The bombardier could control in flight laser-guided
  weapons while the pilot lines up another target for some sort
  of "laydown" attack (releasing a lot of bombs in a line to
  increase the hit probability of a ballistic drop).

Would an A-6F be capable of something like this?  Are there any
  other aircraft that could do something similar?

Finally, if this IS possible, is it a technique that is used?

In the Lybia raid I remember seeing press-release videos from
  the F-111 with a PAVETACK system that was attacking some
  grounded Lybian transports.  However, these aircraft seemed to
  be controlling only one weapon drop each.

Scott

gwh%monsoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert) (07/24/90)

From: gwh%monsoon.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (George William Herbert)

In article <1990Jul18.040913.14392@cbnews.att.com> scott%sting.Berkeley.EDU@ (Scott Silvey) writes:
>Is it possible for a 2-crew bomber with an advanced "360 degree"
>  laser designator to guide an in-flight weapon while
>  simultaneously dropping unguided ordinace ballistically on
>  another target?  If this is not possible, is it because of
>  either (1) avioncs/weapon systems limitations or (2) the fact
>  that this is way too complicated for an air crew to perform
>  under fire?

I doubt it. The primary reason is timing; the average operational self-
illuminating laser guided bomb drop only has the weapon in the air for a few
(less than five) seconds.  That's too short to do much of anything else in the
way of lining up on another target.  You might pop off some gun rounds, tho...

Not to mention the lack of mission planning.  When a target needs multiple
weapons drops, the general rule is one plane per individual target. Why? The
one pass rule... More than one pass over a target area lets the air defenses
have an unreasonable chance of nailing one of your planes.  Much better to
hit them all at once.

>Would an A-6F be capable of something like this?  Are there any
>  other aircraft that could do something similar?

What A-6F? The navy never bought any. 8-(

  == George William Herbert  ==    * Warning: This person contains chemicals *
 == JOAT for Hire: Anything,  ==   ** known to cause Cancer, Birth Defects, **
=======Anywhere, My Price.=======  ************ and Brain Damage! ************
 ==   gwh@ocf.berkeley.edu    ==
  ==     ucbvax!ocf!gwh      == The OCF Gang: Making Tomorrow's Mistakes Today

root@uunet.UU.NET (Superuser) (07/24/90)

From: edat!root@uunet.UU.NET (Superuser)

In article <1990Jul18.040913.14392@cbnews.att.com> scott%sting.Berkeley.EDU@ (Scott Silvey) writes:

>From: scott%sting.Berkeley.EDU@ (Scott Silvey)
>
>Is it possible for a 2-crew bomber with an advanced "360 degree"
>  laser designator to guide an in-flight weapon while
>  simultaneously dropping unguided ordinace ballistically on
>  another target?  If this is not possible, is it because of
>  either (1) avioncs/weapon systems limitations or (2) the fact
>  that this is way too complicated for an air crew to perform
>  under fire?
>
>This sounds sort of crazy to me but ...

Yeah, there is no reason to do this.  It sounds like your trying
for some type of MIRVed delivery schema of small targets.  No, you
might go in with a mixed load of smart and gravity for a primary
and secondary targets, then use one load per target.  You want to
inflict maximum damage according to target type without excessive
collateral damage.  Say hit a substation without destroying the
dam nearby.  But if the targets are close enough for a single pass
of smart and gravity, screw it, load up and go.  If the two targets
are separted by enough distance for a second pass, you let the
wingman standoff, designate while you go in and splat them.  Then
it your turn to designate and he does his thing.  That's SOP
because that wingman needs to be watching for hostiles as you
take a run.  There is strength in numbers.

"I speak only for myself and for as long as I can, regardless of
what Florida politicians and legislators think"

Brian Douglass
Electronic Data Technologies
1085 Palms Airport Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89119-3715