[sci.military] AGM-130

scott%sting.Berkeley.EDU@ (Scott Silvey) (07/17/90)

From: scott%sting.Berkeley.EDU@ (Scott Silvey)

What is this missile, what are it's capabilities, what are it's
  intended targets, and how old is it?  Which of the services
  uses it and how common is it?

I've heard of the Maverick (AGM-65), but I know nothing about this
  one.

Also, about the Maverick, does anyone know how accurate the "smart"
  ones are (the ones that track IR emissions)?   Can they hit a
  tank moving at 40+ knots?  I assume they won't track on a tank
  that is parked with it's engine off and cool, is this correct?  If
  so, how does the pilot know whether or not the missile will lock on
  and hit a potential target he is aiming at?

For the "TV" guided versions, how does this system work and how
  involved is the pilot in the guidance procedure?

For the laser designated versions, how does the pilot keep a target
  designated?  I guess there are a number of laser-designator systems
  around, so I'm asking about how this is generally done.  Does the
  pilot have to guide the laser beam by hand using some sort of
  joystick or does a computer manage to keep the spot tracking the
  target despite aircraft movement?

Thanks,

Scott

tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) (07/18/90)

From: tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude))

In article <1990Jul17.031957.22887@cbnews.att.com> scott%sting.Berkeley.EDU@ (Scott Silvey) writes:
>What is this missile, what are it's capabilities, what are it's
>  intended targets, and how old is it?
>  Which of the services uses it and how common is it?

Others, no doubt, can give a more complete description, but here is
what I have heard ...

It is apparently a glide bomb with a 2000lb warhead. The program was
funded by the Air Force. It was intended to to be used against
hardened targets. Possibly it could be used against ships. Another net
poster said the weapon program is about 5 year old. Seeker was either
TV (with a data link) or imaging IR. World Naval Weapon Systems
mentions it in passing as a "cancelled program", so maybe it is not
deployed at all. Probably, it will be succeeded by the Modular Stand
Off Weapon (MSOW) or Advanced Interdiction Weapon System (AIWS), both
of which are under development.

Here are some more questions for you ordnance gurus out in netland:

Since it's a glide bomb, it does not give much standoff capability.
Was there any option to power the thing like the Skipper?

Was the warhead just a Mk84 bomb?
Or was the warhead some special penetrating design?

Another stand off weapon (the Condor) was cancelled partly due to the
high cost of making the data link jam resistant. Was the AGM-130 data
link (for the TV seeker) supposed to be jam resistant?

-ted

Ted Kim
UCLA Computer Science Department  Internet: tek@penzance.cs.ucla.edu
3804C Boelter Hall                UUCP:    ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!tek
Los Angeles, CA 90024		  Phone:   (213) 206-8696

ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward) (07/24/90)

From: ted@cs.utexas.edu (Ted Woodward)

In article <1990Jul18.040616.13646@cbnews.att.com> tek@CS.UCLA.EDU (Ted Kim (Random Dude)) writes:

>In article <1990Jul17.031957.22887@cbnews.att.com> scott%sting.Berkeley.EDU@ (Scott Silvey) writes:
>>What is this missile, what are it's capabilities, what are it's
>>  intended targets, and how old is it?
>>  Which of the services uses it and how common is it?
>
>Others, no doubt, can give a more complete description, but here is
>what I have heard ...

I'll try.  I've got a copy of Jane's All the World's Aircraft, 1985-86 here,
and here's what it says about the AGM 130:

(Reprinted without permission)

Rockwell has received a contract to develop and test a rocket powered version
of the GBU-15, designated AGM-130, which is intended to give USAF tactical
combat aircraft improved standoff capability.  Two versions are proposed:

AGM-130A. With Mk 84 bomb as standard unitary warhead.

AGM-130B. With multiple warhead, carrying BLY-97 combined effects bomblets
or BLU-106 BKEP runway cratering submunitions in an SUU-54 or alternative
dispenser.

One or two solid propellant rockets, mounted under the missile, boost it to
near Mach 1 speed, giving a maximum range of about 13nm (24 km; 15 miles)
after release at low altitude.  The FY 1986 Department of Defense budget
proposals include a request for 97 AGM-130s.

(end quote)

The GBU-15 is a glide bomb, with either a Mk 84 for its warhead, cluster
munitions, or other warheads.  Guidance is either TV or imaging infrared (IIR).

>Here are some more questions for you ordnance gurus out in netland:

Well, I'm not an ordinance guru, but here goes...

>Since it's a glide bomb, it does not give much standoff capability.
>Was there any option to power the thing like the Skipper?

According to Jane's, it's a powered GBU-15.

>Was the warhead just a Mk84 bomb?
>Or was the warhead some special penetrating design?

A version is a Mk 84, B version isn't.

>Another stand off weapon (the Condor) was cancelled partly due to the
>high cost of making the data link jam resistant. Was the AGM-130 data
>link (for the TV seeker) supposed to be jam resistant?

I have no idea.

--
Ted Woodward (ted@cs.utexas.edu)

Greetings, Royal Ugly Dudes!

cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold) (07/24/90)

From: cga66@ihlpy.att.com (Patrick V Kauffold)
>From article <1990Jul17.031957.22887@cbnews.att.com>, by scott%sting.Berkeley.EDU@ (Scott Silvey):
>
> For the laser designated versions, how does the pilot keep a target
>   designated?  I guess there are a number of laser-designator systems
>   around, so I'm asking about how this is generally done.  Does the
>   pilot have to guide the laser beam by hand using some sort of
>   joystick or does a computer manage to keep the spot tracking the
>   target despite aircraft movement?
>
>From _Air War Vietnam_ by Drew Middleton:
"A new family of "smart bombs" had been introduced in Southeast Asia
since the bombing halt of 1968. These weapons consisted of Electro-
Optical Guided Bombs (EOGBs) and Laser Guided Bombs (LGBs) in the 2,000
pound and 3,000 pound class. The EOGB was a contrast weapon, similar
in concept to the Walleye first used in 1967 by the Navy.  The EOGB,
however, was a 2000 pound bomb with a small TV camera attached to the
nose which transmitted a picture of what it was viewing to a scope in
the attack aircraft. The pilot would point the aircraft at the target
area thereby allowing the WSO in the rear cockpit of the F-4 to find the
target on the scope, refine the contrast aiming point and designate
the target to the weapon. Once this was accomplished, the pilot would
release the bomb and quickly depart the target area, leaving the
EOGB to guide itself toward the designated aim point. Target weather
and cloud cover was a factor when delivering EOGBs, but if the
weapon could see the target when it was released from the aircraft
it would usually impact the aim point.

"The LGB was somewhat different. A laser sensor was mated to the nose
of a 2,000 or a 3,000 pound bomb which enabled it to guide itself
toward a target illuminated with low power laser energy.
The problem of illuminating the target with this laser energy was solved
by attaching a pod beneath the fighter aircraft. This pod contained an
optical viewing system and laser emitting capability, both operated by
the WSO in the backseat of the fighter. With this system, the pilot
could point his aircraft toward the target while his WSO optically
located the precise target aim point and illuminated it with his laser
equipment. The pilot would then release his bombs and depart the target
leaving the LGB to guide itself to the target. An advantage of this
system was that more than one aircraft at a time could drop LGBs on the
same target, with all weapons using the same illumination point to
guide on. Both the EOGB and the LGB resulted in less aircrew exposure
and greater accuracy than conventional weapons. A disadvantage was that
the target had to be continuously illuminated by the laser for the
LGB to be effective.  If clouds obstructed the view of the illuminating
pod the LGB would become an unguided bomb and probably miss the target."

Anyway, that's how they were used in North Viet Nam to drop the Dragon and
other bridges. I think current hardware works about the same way.

root@uunet.UU.NET (Superuser) (07/24/90)

From: edat!root@uunet.UU.NET (Superuser)

In article <1990Jul17.031957.22887@cbnews.att.com> scott%sting.Berkeley.EDU@ (Scott Silvey) writes:

>From: scott%sting.Berkeley.EDU@ (Scott Silvey)
>
>Also, about the Maverick, does anyone know how accurate the "smart"
>  ones are (the ones that track IR emissions)?

They're pretty good, depending on the target.

> Can they hit a tank moving at 40+ knots?

Yes, it probably could, especially at night with IR, or daytime
across a desert with the camera.

> I assume they won't track on a tank that is parked with it's engine
> off and cool, is this correct?

The camera could in a middle of a field in daytime could.  In the
bushes, probably not.  At night the IR might pick it up in the
bushes, depending on how long hes been cool, and the surrounding
temperatures.  In winter time you stand a good chance, a heater
might be enough.

The camera and IR work off of contrast.  That is the target versus
its surroundings.  Therefore there are no absolutes as to when it
will or when it won't.  In the afternoon, shadows get long and a
camera version could mistake the shadow for the target and bury
it nose next to it.  If a tank is rear vented exhaust and you
approach head, you may never see the target to even lock on.  That's
why pilots need so much training.

> If so, how does the pilot know whether or not the missile will lock on
>  and hit a potential target he is aiming at?
>For the "TV" guided versions, how does this system work and how
>  involved is the pilot in the guidance procedure?

Depends on what your flying.  Different airplanes have different
target acquisition systems.  Generally speaking, they all provide
an image (camera, IR, I hear even Radar now) to pilot and cross
hairs.  The Pilot triggers, holds, then has a fine tuner to put the
target in the box.  Triggers the fine, releases the trigger, and
lock is iniitiated.  His HUD gives him a count down, and at optimum
firing point, he pickles and missle a way.  I understand 16Cs have
software to compute optimum and will automaticaly fire.  This has
caused more than one pilot a bit of swearing, but it does work.

>For the laser designated versions, how does the pilot keep a target
>  designated?  I guess there are a number of laser-designator systems
>  around, so I'm asking about how this is generally done.  Does the
>  pilot have to guide the laser beam by hand using some sort of
>  joystick or does a computer manage to keep the spot tracking the
>  target despite aircraft movement?

Mavericks are fire and forget.  I think about all that is necessary
is he keep the belly of the plane towards the target, but I may be
wrong.  Some systems require that, others have top and bottom mounted
designators that can handle inverted flight, others the missle itself
has everything it needs to do the designation.

Just remember, everything depends on what the mission, and conditions
hence its all shades of gray.

"I speak only for myself and for as long as I can, regardless of
what Florida politicians and legislators think"

Brian Douglass
Electronic Data Technologies
1085 Palms Airport Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89119-3715