[net.followup] List of Moderators

hans@log-hb.UUCP (Hans Albertsson) (02/17/85)

In article <12028@gatech.UUCP> usenet@gatech.UUCP writes:
>[Most recent change: 5 December 1984 by spaf]

>A number of "mod" groups exists on the net.  These are groups with
>can automatically mail an article to the correct moderator.  If you are
>NOT running 2.10.2 news, you are *STRONGLY* advised to upgrade to it so
>as to take advantage of this feature, as well as the numerous bug fixes
>and other enhancements.

I'd sure LOVE to switch over to 2.10.2. But HOW?? I have never seen any
posting of it. Please inform me as to what newsgroup the postings appeared
in, and ( if you can manage that ) some identifying means to enable me to
know what parts of it, if any, actually made it here.
I beleive this goes for all of europe. Where is it all?

A suggestion: Please post a list of what programs/data comprise the
2.10.2 release.

I'm the news manager here ( among too many other jobs as well ).

--
Hans Albertsson, USENET/uucp: {decvax,philabs}!mcvax!enea!log-hb!hans
Real World:  TeleLOGIC AB, Box 1001, S-14901 Nynashamn,SWEDEN

jih@usl.UUCP (Juha I. Heinanen) (02/22/85)

Forget swithing to 2.10.2 since based on the amount of bug reports I
have seen on the net it seems like a nightmare of a news administrator.
Wait for something that is proven to be more robust.  I have heard
rumors about 2.10.3 which would be the official patched version of
2.10.2.

Juha Heinanen  jih@usl.UUCP

avolio@grendel.UUCP (Frederick M. Avolio) (02/24/85)

> Forget swithing to 2.10.2 since based on the amount of bug reports I
> have seen on the net it seems like a nightmare of a news administrator.

Are you serious?  The real problems are  trying  to  have  2.10.1  and
2.10.2   work   together   since  some  fundemental  things  are  done
differently (correctly in 2.20.2). *This* is the  only  headache  many
administrators  have  had.  There's no way to force people to upgrade.
Those that have I am sure have had few problems.
--
Fred Avolio      {decvax,seismo}!grendel!avolio      301/731-4100 x4227

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (The Phantom) (02/26/85)

In article <329@usl.UUCP> jih@usl.UUCP (Juha I. Heinanen) writes:
>Forget swithing to 2.10.2 since based on the amount of bug reports I
>have seen on the net it seems like a nightmare of a news administrator.
>Wait for something that is proven to be more robust.  I have heard
>rumors about 2.10.3 which would be the official patched version of
>2.10.2.

huh-- 2.10.2 is the rock of gibraltar compared to previous versions. It is
the FIRST news system I've run that goes in without hacking, and that I
don't have to spend weekends tweaking and fixing-- I'm running the
distribution with minimal changes, and I feel no need to go in and work on
it. It simply doesn't fail. I wish I could say the same for 2.10.1, but
that code stunk. People who don't upgrade do so out of laziness-- I've put
2.10.2 on about half a dozen sites now, using the 'nsc' distribution as a
template, and I can get a full system installed and operational the first
time in under two hours. I've yet to see if break. I've yet to see it burp.
I've yet to see if flake.

2.10.3 still isn't in beta test. Upgrading from 2.10.2 to 2.10.3 ought to
be trivial, so waiting simply makes your life and those of others on the
net worse. It really IS worth upgrading.

chuq
--
From behind the eight ball:                       Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

We'll be recording at the Paradise Friday night. Live, on the Death label.