[sci.military] Dogtags

buckland@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland) (07/24/90)

From: buckland@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland)
 May this civilian request help from the pros with a small
 research problem?  Where can I find the format of the
 information on U.S. Army dogtags (if a plastic chip with
 magnetic stripe or something is now in use, I mean the
 WWII variety, the metal disks)?  Any number of reference
 works will inform me at great and colorful length about
 insignia, but not about this humblest item of military
 identification.

woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood) (07/25/90)

From: eos!woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Wood)

In article <1990Jul23.201658.5303@cbnews.att.com> buckland@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland) writes:

>From: buckland@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland)
> research problem?  Where can I find the format of the
> information on U.S. Army dogtags (if a plastic chip with

last name
first name, middle initial
service number               blood type
service status (usmc/usaf/usn/ra/us/ng) gas mask size
religion

the service status is (in order)

	Marine Corps
	Air Force
	Navy
	regular army (enlisted? you fool!)
	drafted (not quick enough into canada... your number's up!)
	national guard (maybe i can be vice president someday)

/***   woody   ****************************************************************
*** ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I...            ***
*** -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                            ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/

jpulliam@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jacqueline Pulliam) (07/25/90)

From: jpulliam@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jacqueline Pulliam)
>From: buckland@cheddar.ucs.ubc.ca (Tony Buckland)

> research problem?  Where can I find the format of the
> information on U.S. Army dogtags (if a plastic chip with
> magnetic stripe or something is now in use, I mean the
> WWII variety, the metal disks)?  Any number of reference

The only reference I'm aware of is the appropriate regulation, but
it's easy enough just to tell you here:

LAST NAME
FIRST NAME  MIDDLE INITIAL
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER (used to be service number)
BLOOD TYPE (abbreviated.  e.g., A POS, B NEG)
RELIGION (some abbreviated.  e.g., ROMAN CATH)

We haven't gone to magnetic tapes or computer chips, although there
has been some talk in that vein.  We still have the stamped metal
ovals.  Hope this helps!

John Pulliam

mbin@amsaa-seer.brl.mil (Mary Binseel) (07/28/90)

From: Mary Binseel <mbin@amsaa-seer.brl.mil>

There just happens to be a short article by Gerard C. Wilson on the history
of dogtags in the April 1990 issue of _Soldiers_ magazine (v45, n4,
published by the U.S. Army, Cameron Sation, Alexandria, VA, 22304-5050.)

To quote the article (allowed!) the information on WWII era dogtags was:

"... the soldier's name, serial number, blood type, religion, the date of
his initial tetanus shot and the name and address of next of kin.  At some
point during the war the next of kin information was eliminated."

This, alas, does not give you the specific format.  The article does have
interesting photos of some tags, but they are all Civil War era.  It does,
however, say something about the WWII tag construction:

"The 1940 model was made of two thin layers of stainless steel, one of which
was larger and was crimped one edge over the other.  This model had a
curious notch at one end.  It was used to properly position the tag in the
embossing machine, and as a first nail position when nailing the tag to the
shipping crate transporting the remains of deceased soldiers."

Finally, as an aside, this little thought for the day:

"Vietnam photographs sometimes showed a dog tag worn on a bootlace.  This
practice was adopted because some types of booby traps could sometimes
destroy a man from the knees up."

Hope this helps.                                     MaryB