[sci.military] Soviet Wing-in-Ground Aircraft

wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com (Scott Sanford) (07/24/90)

From: wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com (Scott Sanford)
  I hate to be the one to ask an elementary question, but what is meant by
the "wing in ground" phrase?  In my limited experience with aircraft, it has
always seemed that a wing in the ground is a condition to be avoided...  :-)

  "The Gyromobile is my best invention          -wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com
yet; nothing could possibly go wrong...
...I can fix that."  -Gadget Hackwrench, Rescue Ranger

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (07/27/90)

From: fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <1990Jul24.025055.21452@cbnews.att.com>, wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com (Scott Sanford) writes:

> From: wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com (Scott Sanford)
>   I hate to be the one to ask an elementary question, but what is meant by
> the "wing in ground" phrase?  In my limited experience with aircraft, it has
> always seemed that a wing in the ground is a condition to be avoided...  :-)

That should be be "wing in ground effect".  You get enough lift to
get off the ground, and enough drag reduction to make it worthwhile.

------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes
    at such an inconvenient time of day.
------------

root@grumbly.COM (rb duc) (07/30/90)

From: root@grumbly.COM (rb duc)

In article <1990Jul24.025055.21452@cbnews.att.com> wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com (Scott Sanford) writes:
->
->From: wyvern@agora.hf.intel.com (Scott Sanford)
->  I hate to be the one to ask an elementary question, but what is meant by
->the "wing in ground" phrase?  In my limited experience with aircraft, it has
->always seemed that a wing in the ground is a condition to be avoided...  :-)

It means that there is a significant interaction between the wing, the ground
(water) and the air.  Air is trapped or the flow are patterns affected by
an incompressable boundry condition.  Trapped air would raise the pressure
beneath the wing above what it would be in clear air.

Thats my guess

--
\\\
 - -   Richard Ducoty                                ..uunet!grumbly!root