[sci.military] FLEETEX

zrra07@uunet.UU.NET (Randall R. Appleton) (07/28/90)

From: apctrc!crx34!zrra07@uunet.UU.NET (Randall R. Appleton)

I have a question for all who might know.  What are the miltary exercises
like?  How good are they, and to what extent can one make observations
about real warfare from them?  How do they determine if someone is
'hit', and what happens to him?

For example, if I notice that in exercises I tend to loose 70% of my tanks
per engagement, should I expect a similar number in real combat?

Also, what are they like?

Randy

nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo) (07/31/90)

From: nzt1939@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (William M. Aldo)
>From: apctrc!crx34!zrra07@uunet.UU.NET (Randall R. Appleton)
>
>I have a question for all who might know.  What are the miltary exercises
>like?  How good are they, and to what extent can one make observations
>about real warfare from them?  How do they determine if someone is
>'hit', and what happens to him?
>
>For example, if I notice that in exercises I tend to loose 70% of my tanks
>per engagement, should I expect a similar number in real combat?
>
>Also, what are they like?
>
>Randy

I can't speak on all military exercises; however, in general, I do know
that they try to make them as realistic as possible. There are usually
referees/umpires throughout 'battle-sites' to grade/gauge the units
involved.

For your example (no flames intended), LOOSE 70% OF YOUR TANKS.....;-)
While it's definitely possible over time, or for a specific battle, per
engagement is unrealistic.....unless your intelligence data that you're
working with is piss-poor or the individual(s) is totally ignorant of
tank warfare. Of course, there is always the chance of ambush or the
ever-present anti-tank missile (shoulder-fired or otherwise) to con-
tend with, but 70%.......whoa! If you loose tanks at this rate, you
shouldn't be in real combat. I'm not a combat-vet, but I am a veteran
tank commander.....and it has been awhile since I participated in
military exercises/wargames.

--

Mark