[sci.military] DEFCONs

GA.CJJ@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU (Clifford Johnson) (07/24/90)

From:      "Clifford Johnson" <GA.CJJ@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
> DefCon 1, and it stands for Defense Condition 1, a nuclear war.
> DefCon 2 , I believe, is a conventional War
> DefCon 3 , an Alert condition (Hostilities Imminent) [sp?]
> DefCon 4 is a standard condition..(you know, peace)

Not quite.

There are five basic levels of U.S. military alert,
called DEFCON (DEFense readiness CONdition) 1 through 5.

DEFCON 5 (code-named "Fade Out") corresponds to normal
peacetime, DEFCON 1 ("Cocked-Pistol") to general war.  SAC is
routinely maintained at DEFCON 4 ("Double Take").  DEFCON 3
("Round House") is an advanced alert in which war is deemed
possible, and DEFCON 2 ("Fast Pace") is a full alert signifying
that war is imminent.

To:  MILITARY@ATT.ATT.COM

GA.CJJ@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU (Clifford Johnson) (07/31/90)

From:      "Clifford Johnson" <GA.CJJ@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
In article <1990Jul26.015319.2602@cbnews.att.com>,
ssc-vax!wanttaja@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Ronald J Wanttaja) writes:
>If an announcement said "We
>are now at an Exercise DEFCON One" and some poor 2d John caught only
>the last two words....
>Instead, they use a term which cannot be mistaken for
>the real thing.  Of course, if the *real* DEFCON had been
declared, we would have been PART of
>the light show... :-)
>there was the time we fed the exercise tape into the live system...

NORAD may be different from SAC, and times may have changed, but
my understanding is that, notwithstanding the greatly diminished
Soviet threat, SAC's MX/Minuteman chain of command is perpetually
at the real DEFCON 4, the missiles being, in CINCSAC's own words,
"ready for the turn of a key at a moment's notice."  (Air Force
magazine, July 1990.)

There are absolutely no plans I know of to reduce this real level
of alert.  Moreover, unlike NORAD's DEFCON exercises, SAC missile
crews are reportedly subject to launch exercises that differ from
the real thing only by virtue of lacking authentication codes.
Thus, in Managing Nuclear Operations (1987), ex-CINCSAC General
Dougherty wrote (pp.412-3):

    Training in a nuclear command is intense.  Training
    scenarios and missions are designed to be as rigorous,
    realistic, and demanding as they can be made in peacetime,
    even if such training exacts penalties and incurs hazards --
    and it does . . . There is no room for
    deception or make-believe within the nuclear commands; their
    weapons systems are real, their crews are capable and
    experienced; they must and will respond to proper authority,
    as will their commanders.  A training scenario for some
    weapons is designed so that an actual execution is
    distinguishable from a practice one only by the authorized
    release and enabling codes.  And the scenarios are being
    repeated, practiced, and evaluated constantly.

An interview with a Minuteman launch corroborated this (Armed
Forces Journal, Sep 1981, p.37):

    [Launch crews] are never sure whether they are drills or
    not, until well into the procedure...  Had it ever happened
    that while on duty, a situation developed that they thought
    was the real thing?  The two crew members smiled at each
    other.  "Yes, it has happened," says Clark "but when it does
    you react - you don't think.  That's what we are trained to
    do."

As part of such rehearsals, each month the military generates
some forty "end-to-end" test Emergency Action Messages (EAMs), or
launch orders. (1985 testimony.) Thus, the "real thing" and
"exercises" are not far apart.

Incidentally, the perpetual flights of Looking Glass were
discontinued last week.  The New Tork Times reported that Powell,
chairman of the Joint Chiefs, gave Chain (CINCSAC) the order to
discontinue flights.  But 10 U.S.C. 155(e) and 163(b)
categorically provide that the JCS chairman cannot issue orders
to CINCSAC.  Under 10 USC 162(b) only Cheney and Bush can command
CINCSAC.  The New York Times was technically wrong, it seems.

Also, I saw no report mentioning the more prolific perpetual
flights of TACAMO aircraft (Navy planes for relaying EAMs to the
subs., at any time) over the Atlantic and Pacific.  I presume these
continue.

To:  MILITARY@ATT.ATT.COM