[sci.military] About Spitfire propellers

rdd@ukc.ac.uk (Rudnei Dias da Cunha) (07/31/90)

From: Rudnei Dias da Cunha <rdd@ukc.ac.uk>

>From: ran el-Yaniv <yaniv%mush.huji.ac.il@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>

>The original Mk. I Spitfire had a two blade, fixed propeller. All war variants
>had 3 blade propellers with variable pitch. Late model (post-war) Griffon
>engined Spitfires may have had more blades.

  The late Spitfire versions powered by Rolls-Royce Griffon engines, which
were used in WW2, had propellers with 4 and 5 blades. Post-war versions had
propellers with seven blades and the F.Mk22 had contra-rotating propellers,
each one with 5 blades.

  Also, the Spitfire HF.MkVIII, designed for high-altitude service (only a
few were developed, possibly twelve), had a four blade propeller. It was
introduced in 1942.

                                    Rudnei Dias da Cunha
                                       rdd@ukc.ac.uk
                       Computing Lab, University of Kent at Canterbury