[sci.military] Where are the ICBM's?

jimcat@hope.its.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) (07/25/90)

From: jimcat@hope.its.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak)
 This is a pretty straightforward inquiry: where are the U.S.'s
ICBM silos loacted? I know there are some in Minot, ND, but I'd
think that they wouldn't place all the missiles in relatively
close proximity to each other. So, does anyone know where the
rest of the launch sites are?

--
 Jim Kasprzak          kasprzak@mts.rpi.edu (internet)
 RPI, Troy, NY         userfe0u@rpitsmts.bitnet

wolit@mhuxd.att.com (Jan I Wolitzky) (07/26/90)

From: wolit@mhuxd.att.com (Jan I Wolitzky)
In article <1990Jul25.004659.6917@cbnews.att.com>, jimcat@hope.its.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) writes:

>  This is a pretty straightforward inquiry: where are the U.S.'s
> ICBM silos loacted?

Ellsworth AFB, Rapid City, SD
F. E. Warren AFB, Cheyenne, WY (silos in WY, CO, and NB)
Grand Forks AFB, Grand Forks, ND
Malmstrom AFB, Great Falls, MT
Minot AFM, Minot, ND
Whiteman AFB, Knob Noster, MO

This info is from the 1984 Nuclear Weapons Databook, Vol I, US Nuclear
Forces and Capabilities.  I've omitted the sites listed there for
deployment of Titan II missiles, which have since been withdrawn.
I'm not sure where the MX missiles are based, perhaps Whiteman AFB?

--
Jan Wolitzky, AT&T Bell Labs, Murray Hill, NJ; 201 582-2998
    att!mhuxd!wolit or jan.wolitzky@att.com

Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (07/28/90)

From: Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM
Being a missile candidate in former life (college before work, AFROTC), I
can tell you.

Most of the ICBM force is located in the northern tier of state.  Let's
see if I can remember the bases:

	Minot
        Malmstrom
        F.E. Warren
        I believe there are a couple of others.

They are in the states:  Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, and
I think perhaps Idaho.

They are also based at Whiteman in Missouri.  They are located east of
Kansas city, and cover a lot of the northern part of the state.

These bases are all Minuteman-II, -III, or MX bases.

There used to be Titan-II bases at McConnell in Kansas, Davis-Monthan
in Arizona, and Little Rock in Arkansas.
--
Steve Bridges                    | NCR - USG Product Marketing and Support OLS
Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM     | Phone:(513)-445-4182 622-4182 (Voice Plus)

scottmi@ncar.UCAR.EDU (SCOTT MICHAEL C) (07/28/90)

From: boulder!snoopy!scottmi@ncar.UCAR.EDU (SCOTT MICHAEL C)

  There are a great number of them in south-eastern Wyoming and northeast
Colorado.  The missiles in Colorado are all Minuteman (I don't know which
models), but some of the missiles in Wyoming are MX's.

  --don't like snow, miss Deirdre, and wish I was still in Santa Cruz.

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: jimcat@hope.its.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak)
> This is a pretty straightforward inquiry: where are the U.S.'s
>ICBM silos loacted? I know there are some in Minot, ND, but I'd
>think that they wouldn't place all the missiles in relatively
>close proximity to each other. So, does anyone know where the
>rest of the launch sites are?

The Minuteman silos are spread over, mostly, North Dakota and Montana,
as I recall.  Even within the fields, they are in "close proximity" only
in a very relative sense, with individual missiles miles apart.

The basic requirements were large areas of non-urban land (to spread the
missiles out and keep them away from population centers), well inland
to prevent pin-down attacks from submarines, and fairly far north to
make best use of the missiles' limited range.

The old Titan silos were in Arkansas.  The greater range of the Titans
relaxed the "north" requirement, and they were put as far "inside" the
US as possible.

I'm not sure where the MXes have ended up.

                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                          henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges) (07/30/90)

From: Steve.Bridges@Dayton.NCR.COM (Steve Bridges)

In <1990Jul26.015339.2710@cbnews.att.com> wolit@mhuxd.att.com (Jan I Wolitzky) writes:

>In article <1990Jul25.004659.6917@cbnews.att.com>, jimcat@hope.its.rpi.edu (Jim Kasprzak) writes:

>Ellsworth AFB, Rapid City, SD
>F. E. Warren AFB, Cheyenne, WY (silos in WY, CO, and NB)
>Grand Forks AFB, Grand Forks, ND
>Malmstrom AFB, Great Falls, MT
>Minot AFM, Minot, ND
>Whiteman AFB, Knob Noster, MO

>I'm not sure where the MX missiles are based, perhaps Whiteman AFB?

Nope, not at Whiteman.  I had a tour there with one of the missle squadrons.
Long story --  I was a missile candidate when in AFROTC at Purdue.  During my
senior year, I went to visit relatives in Kansas City during Thanksgiving.  I
called the base, and arranged for a tour.  Great folks.  Couldn't get me
down to visit a LCC (launch control center).  Had to be cleared by SAC HQ, and
they didn't have enough time.  Spent a very interesting day.  Whiteman has
Minuteman-IIs.

I believe that the MXs are either at F.E. Warren or Malmstrom.

--

jwm@wdl1.wdl.fac.com (Jon W Meyer) (08/01/90)

From: jwm@wdl1.wdl.fac.com (Jon W Meyer)

 henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>The old Titan silos were in Arkansas.  The greater range of the Titans
>relaxed the "north" requirement, and they were put as far "inside" the
>US as possible.

There were also some Titan silos in Arizona, at Davis Monthan.

>I'm not sure where the MXes have ended up.

The initial deployment of MX missles was in refurbished, deepened(?), Minuteman
silos.

Jon W. Meyer