[sci.military] Transport Aircraft Designations

geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller) (08/05/90)

From: geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)

From: dps@otter.hpl.hp.com (Duncan Smith)

>Speaking of C- types, could someone (Mentioning no names!) post some info on
>the new (ie post '62) cargo/transport sequence? The recent designations have
>come thick and fast and I've lost track.

-----

I've never seen a really comprehensive, up-to-date reference for transport
aircraft designations, so rather than wait for someone to cite a reference
that probably doesn't exist, I'll submit what I can from memory.

Geoff

				----- //// -----

Here are the most recent ones (since the numbering sequence was restarted at
1):

C-1:        Trader (Grumman)  COD version of the S-2 Tracker.
C-2:        Greyhound (Grumman).  COD aircraft developed from the E-2.
C-3:  	    ???
C-4:        Gulfstream I (Grumman).
C-5:        Galaxy (Lockheed)
C-6:        Caribou (DeHavilland Canada)
C-7:        Buffalo (DeHavilland Canada)
C-8:        ???
C-9:        Nightingale.  (Medevac DC-9)
(K)C-10:    Extender.  Tanker/transport adaptation of the DC-10.
(V)C-11:    Gulfstream II (Grumman/Gulfstream American)
C-12:       Beechcraft King Air.
C-13:  	    ???
(Y)C-14:    Boeing contender in the AMST (Advanced Medium STOL Transport)
            design competition in the mid-Seventies.
(Y)C-15:    McDonnell-Douglas AMST contender.
C-16:       ???
C-17:       New McDonnell-Douglas Air Force transport, under development.
C-22:       USAF Boeing 727.

As far as I know, that's as far as it goes at this point.

-----
-----

Here are the other reasonably modern (i.e., postwar) transport designations
that I know of.  The gaps are presumably designs that never made it into
production.

C-54:      Douglas Cargomaster (military DC-4)
C-74:      Globemaster (Douglas).  The original Globemaster, later to evolve
           into the C-124.
C-87:      Packet (Fairchild)  Remember _Flight of the Phoenix_?
C-99:      Huge transport development of the Convair B-36.  Only one was built,
           retired in 1957 after limited use.  Now languishing at Kelley AFB.
C-118:     Douglas Liftmaster (military DC-6A)
C-119:     Flying Boxcar (Fairchild).
C-121:     Lockheed Super Constellation.
C-123:     Provider (Fairchild)
C-124:     Globemaster (Douglas)
C-130:     Lockheed Hercules
C-131:     Convair Samaritan (military CV-240)
C-133:     Cargomaster (Douglas)
C-135:     Stratoliner (Boeing)  There was originally a transport version (with
           windows) as well as the KC-135 tanker version.  All were eventually
           converted to tankers or EC/RC-135 intelligence aircraft.
(V)C-137:  Air Force One.  Military VIP version of the Boeing 707-320B.
C-140:     Lockheed Jetstar.
C-141:     Lockheed StarLifter.
(X)C-142:  Experimental Ryan VTOL transport.

As far as I know, that's the highest that the numbers ever got for transports.

sxdjt@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (TABOR DEAN J) (08/08/90)

From: sxdjt@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (TABOR DEAN J)
Don't forget the C-21 (a spiffy little Lear (?))