[sci.military] "Assault Breaker" project

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (08/07/90)

From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)
Can anyone give enlightment on the current status of the "Assault Breaker"
program? It was supposed to mount a sideways looking radar on a Boeing 707
and look down into the battlefield for 100+ kilometers. I think that
maybe 1 or 2 planes are in engineering test at the moment in Europe, or were
going to be put on engineering test.

I'm wondering how much trouble it would be to fly one of these off to the
Middle East to call targets for F-15/16/18s.

chamber@ee.udel.edu (Sam Chamberlain) (08/10/90)

From: Sam Chamberlain <chamber@ee.udel.edu>

In article <1990Aug7.040733.6528@cbnews.att.com> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:

>From: sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney)
>Can anyone give enlightment on the current status of the "Assault Breaker"
>program? It was supposed to mount a sideways looking radar on a Boeing 707
>and look down into the battlefield for 100+ kilometers. ...

It sounds like you might be referring to the airborne radar portion of the
JSTARS (Joint Surveillance Target Attack Radar System) that uses the Air Force
WAS/MTI (wide-area surveillance/moving target indicator) radar system carried
onboard an E-8a (i.e., 707) aircraft.

"Assualt Breaker," according to the Army Greenbook (October 1989, pg 352), is
a defunct program (began in 1978) that evolved into the Joint Tactical Missile
System (JTACMS) by combining the Army corps support weapon system and the Air
Force Conventional standoff weapon (in 1983). It became just TACMS in 1984
when the Air Force dropped out.  LTV was awarded the contract in March 1986
and the first flight test was in April 1988. As of February 1989, it is
now called Army TACMS (ATACMS).

In any case, it is a missle system whose purpose is to attack deep targets of
the second-echelon forces that are beyond the range of cannons and rockets. It
is fired out of a modified MLRS (Multiple Launch Rocket System) launcher that
can carry two ATACMS missles. The warhead consists of M74, dual-purpose,
bomblets. The Greenbook states that "Currently, there are no planned changes
to the force structure to accomodate Army TCMS" which means no decision has
been made to deploy it.

Back to the first paragraph, if memory serves me right, JSTARS is a Corp
and higher asset that does not have the resolution required to provide target
location data for artillery systems such as ATACMS. But I don't believe this
was its intended purpose. Hence, the push for better long ranged RPV's
(remotely piloted vehicles) that can get closer to provide higher resolution
location data.

Sam