[sci.military] Spitfires and F-13's.

G_AHRENDT@VAXA.CC.UWA.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt) (08/07/90)

From: G_AHRENDT@VAXA.CC.UWA.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt)
The original prototype Spitfire had a massive 2 blade propeller.

By 1939 Constant-Speed 3 blade propellers were becoming available for the Mark 1

The Mark 6 was the first to use 4 blade propellers.

The Mark 14 was the first to use 5 blade propellers.

The Mark 21 Griffon 85 was the first to use 6 blade propellers.

The USAF F-13 designation was used by Boeing for it's B-29 Superfortress
Strategic Reconnaissance Version with large camera installations and
long-range tanks. This version was known as F-13A. 117 were manufactured.

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (08/10/90)

From: fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

> From: G_AHRENDT@VAXA.CC.UWA.OZ.AU (Gunter Ahrendt)
>
> The USAF F-13 designation was used by Boeing for it's B-29 Superfortress
> Strategic Reconnaissance Version with large camera installations and
> long-range tanks. This version was known as F-13A. 117 were manufactured.

Here we have some confusion brought about by changing nomenclature rules.

Pre-1947 or so, P = pursuit, B = bomber, F = recon, C = transport (cargo),
T = trainer, ...

After that, the rules changed:

B = bomber, F = fighter, R = recon, C = transport, T = trainer, ...

You get reminded about things like that when you read something like a
description of flying an F5 over the Normandy beaches during D-Day...

The book wasn't a science fiction alternate history story...in this
case, the F5 was, I think, the recon version of the P-38.

  The only drawback with morning is that it comes
    at such an inconvenient time of day.