[net.followup] Starving people-valentines

labelle@hplabsc.UUCP (WB6YZZ La Belle) (02/13/85)

  I will not feed starving people because they will then become dependant
 on me and will even procreate, causing an even larger base of starving
 people! The way the world should work; is that the strong survive. We've
 already destroyed that selection process with modern medicine, let us
 not create a "monkey on our back" that in the future we won't be able
 to carry!

                           GEORGE

gino@voder.UUCP (Gino Bloch) (02/15/85)

[some people don't even get this line to eat]

>   I will not feed starving people because they will then become dependant
>  on me and will even procreate, causing an even larger base of starving
>  people! The way the world should work; is that the strong survive. We've
>  already destroyed that selection process with modern medicine, let us
>  not create a "monkey on our back" that in the future we won't be able
>  to carry!
>                            GEORGE  {who is at HPLABS, Palo Alto, CA}

Well, George, here is an argument that even you might accept:  those people
might be a potential market for your product (I, on the other hand, might
not want to buy ANYTHING from you).
--
Gene E. Bloch (...!nsc!voder!gino)
The opinions expressed above are accidents.

dave@circadia.UUCP (dave) (02/16/85)

>   I will not feed starving people because they will then become dependant
>  on me and will even procreate, causing an even larger base of starving
>  people! The way the world should work; is that the strong survive. We've
>  already destroyed that selection process with modern medicine, let us
>  not create a "monkey on our back" that in the future we won't be able
>  to carry!
>
>                            GEORGE

What an enlightened attitude.
--

Dave Messer   ...inhp4!stolaf!umn-cs!circadia!dave

schwager@uiucdcs.UUCP (02/20/85)

>   I will not feed starving people because they will then become dependant
>  on me and will even procreate, causing an even larger base of starving
>  people! The way the world should work; is that the strong survive. We've
>  already destroyed that selection process with modern medicine, let us
>  not create a "monkey on our back" that in the future we won't be able
>  to carry!
>
>                            GEORGE

Watch it, your ignorance is showing!
-- mike schwager
-- {ihnp4,convex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!schwager   schwager%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa

ron@celerity.UUCP (Ron McDaniels) (02/21/85)

In article <2395@hplabsc.UUCP> ol'George@hplabsc.UUCP (George) writes:
>   I will not feed starving people because they will then become dependant
>  on me and will even procreate, causing an even larger base of starving
>  people! The way the world should work; is that the strong survive. We've
>  already destroyed that selection process with modern medicine, let us
>  not create a "monkey on our back" that in the future we won't be able
>  to carry!
>
>                            GEORGE

Want to bet that you would run to the doctor if you found out you had diabetes?
Want to bet you wouldn't have a vasectomy and protect the gene pool? Want to
bet that you are an unfeeling nurd? Want to bet if I wonder if everyone at
HP is like you?

McD

Ron McDaniels
{decvax || ucbvax || ihnp4 || akgua || philabs}!sdcsvax!celerity!ron

>   I will not feed starving people because ...

I wish this person had said he was joking.  Then again, it would have
been a poor joke.  Even if the world's rule were that the strong
survive, what good does that due in unexpected disaster that decimates
strong and weak alike?  If you are in a desert without food, or in the
Pacific without a boat, or in space without some kind of support, you
just will not survive, no matter how "strong" you are.

And the greatest strength is a strength of the heart, which seems
to be lacking in the opinion that prompted this response.  Not a
weak, ineffective "do-gooder" feeling like that of many "liberals"
who say "it would be nice if" or "someone should", but the strength
of a person who will do what must be done when and where he or she can.

If anyone truly believes the incredible opinion posted before,
please notify your local volunteer rescue squad, hospitals,
blood banks, Social Security office, charities, Red Cross, etc.
so that we won't waste our resources helping you against your
philosophy.	;-(

Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{ARPA,UUCP}

decot@hpda.UUCP (Dave Decot) (02/28/85)

> In article <2395@hplabsc.UUCP> ol'George@hplabsc.UUCP (George) writes:
> >   I will not feed starving people because they will then become dependant
> >  on me and will even procreate, causing an even larger base of starving
> >  people! The way the world should work; is that the strong survive. We've
> >  already destroyed that selection process with modern medicine, let us
> >  not create a "monkey on our back" that in the future we won't be able
> >  to carry!
> >
> >                            GEORGE
>
> Want to bet if I wonder if everyone at HP is like you?
>
> Ron McDaniels

Wonder no more--we are not.  I strongly disagree with George's attitude
in this posting.  HP is a large company, and as a result has no unified
opinion on this matter.

GEORGE speaks only for himself.  What makes you think HP hires people
based on anything but their ability to perform their tasks?  Maybe
everybody who works in the dreaded Computer industry is insensitive!?

Dave Decot, Hewlett-Packard Company
decvax!ucbvax!hpda!decot