[sci.military] U.S. WW2 staff car info wanted

mcdaniel@uunet.UU.NET (Tim McDaniel) (08/09/90)

From: mailrus!sharkey!amara!mcdaniel@uunet.UU.NET (Tim McDaniel)

A friend in England recently picked up a car purported to be a World
War Two U. S. Army staff car.  However, he knows little about the
history of the car, and asked me to help find out more.

While it'd be nice if someone out there would research the subject,
somehow I doubt it'll happen.  8-) So I really would like pointers for
where to look.  I honestly have little idea on where to start.

Known: it's a 1940 Chrysler Royal Sedan.  I have the part numbers for
the engine block, door frame, et cetera.  I have the "US Army Number",
USA-W 13807.  A plate on the dashboard says
	Capt. Frank Hagler
	Marine Detachment
	USS Nevada
The previous owner said that the car went ashore at Normandy on D-Day
plus 1.  A sign previously on the car indicated that it was at
Normandy, Iwo Jima, Okkinawa [sic], et cetera.

I can think of a lot of things it'd be nice to know:

* The biggest one: how do you get a staff car off a battleship with no
  port available and how do you then land it onto a hotly-defended
  beach?

* Information on USS Nevada's WW2 service would be nice.

* Can I find Capt. Hagler's service records?

* Where could spare parts be found?  Specs?  Manuals?  Is there a
  "Chrysler Royal Sedan Owner's Club", or a club for owners of old
  Chryslers?

* Previous owners?  The earliest one for which he has records was in
  Idaho.  He has the Idaho title number -- can it be used in tracing
  ownership?
--
"I'm not a nerd -- I'm 'socially challenged'."

Tim McDaniel
Internet: mcdaniel@adi.com             UUCP: {uunet,sharkey}!amara!mcdaniel

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (08/14/90)

From: fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

> From: mailrus!sharkey!amara!mcdaniel@uunet.UU.NET (Tim McDaniel)
>
> A friend in England recently picked up a car purported to be a World
> War Two U. S. Army staff car.  However, he knows little about the
> history of the car, and asked me to help find out more.
>
> USA-W 13807.  A plate on the dashboard says
> 	Capt. Frank Hagler
> 	Marine Detachment
> 	USS Nevada
> * Information on USS Nevada's WW2 service would be nice.

It started at Pearl Harbor 7/12/41.

Nevada got up steam during the attack and proceded to head for
open sea.  It sustained some damage during the attack, and the
Captain elected to ground Nevada near Ford (?) Island rather
than take a chance of being sunk near the entrance to Pearl
Harbor and possibly block it for months.

Things generally went uphill from there, I assume.

  The only drawback with morning is that it comes
    at such an inconvenient time of day.