[sci.military] Iraqi Order of Battle?

wdr@wang.COM (William Ricker) (08/11/90)

From: William Ricker <wdr@wang.COM>
The 8/8/90 Wall Street Journal (p. A6) gave an out-of-date
order-of-battle for the Iraqi army, from an 88-89 source-book.  It
listed 5000 tanks including 30 Chieftans and 500 T-72s.
Does anyone know if since '88 they've received any more modern
equipment?  (Either more of these or anything newer?)

I assume the 13 French SA-321s "Super Frelon" listed under tanks by
the WSJ is a typo, as I think those are helicopters?

I would also be interested in any discussion of Iraqi doctrine, in
how they mix their T-72,62,59, and 54's.  I would guess that the 30
Chieftains are the elite guard company in Bagdhad.  Do they consider
their 50% T-54s to be reserves, or do they use them as cannon fodder
or second echelon?

The same article mentioned the difficulty of using chemical
protection suits in the desert, and said "To counter such threats,
US officials said, Patriot missles and other anti-missile systems
would also be sent to Saudi Arabia."  What efficacy should we expect
for Patriot et al in shooting down inflight rounds from FROG-7 or
SCUD-B launchers?

--
/bill ricker/
wdr@wang.com a/k/a wricker@northeastern.edu

bxr307@csc.anu.oz (08/14/90)

From: bxr307@csc.anu.oz
In article <1990Aug11.015202.19902@cbnews.att.com>, wdr@wang.COM (William Ricker) writes:

> From: William Ricker <wdr@wang.COM>
> The 8/8/90 Wall Street Journal (p. A6) gave an out-of-date
> order-of-battle for the Iraqi army, from an 88-89 source-book.  It
> listed 5000 tanks including 30 Chieftans and 500 T-72s.
> Does anyone know if since '88 they've received any more modern
> equipment?  (Either more of these or anything newer?)

	Nothing newer, unless you count Chinese T-69's (which are basically
modernised T-59's which in turn are T-54/55's license built in China).  They
have laser range finders and computerised fire control systems.  However a
report I read in either Jane's Defence Weekly or International Defence Review
about the vehicles that Thailand had recieved suggested that the actual utility
of the T-69 and YP-63 APC's was questionable.  In particular the T-69's
were suffering from having been built with the same machine tools which had
been used to manufacture the original T-59's back in 1959.  They had bad
lubricant leaks and dieso fuel was apparently leaking from the exhausts of at
least one vehicle inspected by the correspondant.  However as the Thais
had recieved them at "Friendship Prices" they weren't complaining too much! :-)

> I assume the 13 French SA-321s "Super Frelon" listed under tanks by
> the WSJ is a typo, as I think those are helicopters?

	Yep.  Your right.  They are large transport helicopters in the same
class as the Chinook or the CH-53 Sea Stallion.

> I would also be interested in any discussion of Iraqi doctrine, in
> how they mix their T-72,62,59, and 54's.  I would guess that the 30
> Chieftains are the elite guard company in Bagdhad.  Do they consider
> their 50% T-54s to be reserves, or do they use them as cannon fodder
> or second echelon?

	The Chieftains are vehicles captured by them in battle against the
Iranians during the Gulf War.  I had heard that they had basically given them
to the Jordanian Govt. in return for support during the war.  At that point
the Jordanians were apparently preparing to buy Challenger MBT's from the UK
and wanted the Chieftains as training vehicles awaiting delivery (essentially
for most purposes the Chieftain and the Challenger are the same vehicle
mechanically).  However the Challenger deal fell through due to lack of money.
	I cannot help you on how the Iraqi's employ their T-54/55's.  However
I'd be surprised that they could afford not to employ them as first line
troops.  Essentially because as the Gulf War went on they were forced to buy
more cheaper vehicles (hence the T-69's and YP-63's) and vehicles that could be
maintained more easily as they needed more troops at the front, and less
employed as techs and mechs.

> The same article mentioned the difficulty of using chemical
> protection suits in the desert, and said "To counter such threats,
> US officials said, Patriot missles and other anti-missile systems
> would also be sent to Saudi Arabia."  What efficacy should we expect
> for Patriot et al in shooting down inflight rounds from FROG-7 or
> SCUD-B launchers?

	The Patriot has been, as far as I know, tested as a "Theatre ABM" and
had its software modified to be able to undertake the task.  However as far
as I was aware the modified system had not yet been deployed.  If they do
deploy such a system I wonder if it contravenes the ABM treaty?
	Another thing about wearing "noddy" suits (as NBC suits are known as
in the British Army :-) is that the current US suit is unable to provide
protection against airburst chemical weapons.  Apparently the droplets at the
expected velocity easily penetrate the suit.  I was reading about this in a
recent defence magazine (he says racking his brains.  I'm sorry I cannot
remember which one. :-(.  Apparently both the Dutch Chemical Warfar Labs and
the British Chemical Warfare Labs at Portland Down have demonstrated this on
numerous occasions using a tower from which a droplet of nerve agent was
dropped to simulate the velocity of an airburst.  It easily penetrated the US
suit at the bottom of the tower every time.  The British and West German suits
were not much better either, failing the test 25% of the time as well.
	As to the difficutly of using NBC warfare suits in a hot climate.  I
can testify it is extremely difficult to do anything at all when in an NBC
suit.  Here in Australia we used to routinely practice with them in moderate
(or what we call moderate weather here, mid-high 20's degrees C) weather.  We
used to suffer up to 25% heat exhaustion casualties if anything strenous (like
attempting to run an obstacle course) was attempted.  Our private conclusion
was that if Chemical weapons were used in high summer you might as well bend
over and kiss your arse goodbye. :-(  If you didn't die from the chemicals
you'd die from the heat inside the suit.  You can usually last a maximum of
about 2 hours in a suit if the temperature gets above 30 degrees C and your
not doing anything strenious.

Brian Ross