[sci.military] Parallels Iraq/Korea

tom@ISF.Unisys.COM (Tom Jewell) (08/09/90)

From: tom@ISF.Unisys.COM (Tom Jewell)

It seems that any major conflict the US (et al) has with Iraq
has many parallels with the Korean War. With relativly small
effort, it seems that we would be able to have complete
air and sea superiority, but would be facing a more numerous
enemy. Is this an accurate statement? Can anyone add any other
parallels? Or any noteable differences?

--
Tom Jewell

tom@isf.unisys.com
..!burdvax!hpwisf1!tom

stevew@wyse.wyse.com (Steve Wilson x2580 dept303) (08/14/90)

From: stevew@wyse.wyse.com (Steve Wilson x2580 dept303)

In article <1990Aug9.015941.8616@cbnews.att.com> tom@ISF.Unisys.COM (Tom Jewell) writes:
>From: tom@ISF.Unisys.COM (Tom Jewell)
>It seems that any major conflict the US (et al) has with Iraq
>has many parallels with the Korean War. With relativly small
>effort, it seems that we would be able to have complete
>air and sea superiority, but would be facing a more numerous
>enemy. Is this an accurate statement? Can anyone add any other
>parallels? Or any noteable differences?
>--
>Tom Jewell

The biggest difference I see is the terrain.   Korea is fairly
mountainous while Iraq and environs is dessert territory.  As
one military commentator mentioned..."Its as flat as a pancake
over there."

Another difference is the orientation of the forces being employed.
Now-adays we have a significant night-fighting capability that
we didn't have in Korea.   This could play an important role in
any conflict.

Steve Wilson