[sci.military] CAF

wb9omc@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick) (08/07/90)

From: wb9omc@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick)
>>From: geoffm@EBay.Sun.COM (Geoff Miller)
>In article <1990Jul30.153536.26030@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> pspod@venus.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>>The Cleveland Wing of the Confederate Air Force is presenting an airshow at
>>the Lorain County Airport, Aug 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Two of the aircraft present
>>will be the ME 109 and A6M2 Zero.  Does anyone know if these aircraft are
>>actual 109 and Zero or some modification of other aircraft e.g. AT-6?
>The Zero is probably one of the  converted AT-6s used in the filming of
>_Tora Tora Tora_.   I'd think that a real Zero would be far too valuable to
>fly around the airshow circuit, and there'd be a real shortage of spare engine
	****part of the whole point is to get these planes out where
people can see them fly.  There are several converted AT6's that looks like
Zeros - but I think there might be one or two real ones lurking about.  Therre
IS a Kate torpedo bomber that is 100% real that used to fly regularly in the
Indiana Wing CAF shows.  Many of the "German" planes were CASA types, including
a CASA built Ju52 transport.

	You will find several one-of-a-kinders in CAF shows.  As far as
I know, FiFi is the worlds ONLY flyable B29 - I thought they were prepping
another but haven't heard anything about it lately.  And parts are a problem
no matter WHO built the plane.....many of the parts on the warbirds have
to be contracted out to machine shops for duplication.  Man, is THAT
expensive!

>parts.  Also,  I believe that the CAF's Me-109 is a Spanish-built CASA-
>something.  Same plane, essentially.
	Yep, although sometimes there were engine differences, mostly
pretty subtle.  I don't recall many performance differences.

Duane

ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib) (08/15/90)

From: ntaib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Nur Iskandar Taib)

>>parts.  Also,  I believe that the CAF's Me-109 is a Spanish-built CASA-
>>something.  Same plane, essentially.
>	Yep, although sometimes there were engine differences, mostly
>pretty subtle.  I don't recall many performance differences.
>

>Duane

The spanish ME-109 housed at the museum at Wright Field,
Dayton, OH has a Merlin engine! The ME-109s used in the
movie "Battle of Britain" were Spanish also. The Ju-52
that visited Mount Comfort airport in Indianapolis three
years ago may have been Spanish also. I hear that three
Ju-52s are still ferrying tourists around the Swiss alps.

Iskandar