[sci.military] Desert War

nelson_p@apollo.com (08/09/90)

From: nelson_p@apollo.com

   [ for submission to sci.military]

   With all the talk about a war with Iraq I had a couple of
   questions.

   1.)  The Iraqis have surface-to-surface missiles for use
        against land targets.  What, if any, means do we have
        to shoot them down in flight?

   2.)  The Iraqis use gas warfare.   The chemical warfare gear
        that I've seen NATO use looks heavy, cumbersome, and hot.
        Since temperatures in the desert regularly exceed 100
        degrees this time of the tear how well can soldiers fight
        when equipped for a gas attack?
                                                    ---Peter

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: nelson_p@apollo.com
>   1.)  The Iraqis have surface-to-surface missiles for use
>        against land targets.  What, if any, means do we have
>        to shoot them down in flight?

The best of the antiaircraft systems, notably the Patriot SAM, nominally
have some antimissile capability.  How well they will work in a shooting
war is an open question.  (Past experience with peacetime-developed
missiles in real warfare has not been encouraging.)

>   2.)  The Iraqis use gas warfare.   The chemical warfare gear
>        that I've seen NATO use looks heavy, cumbersome, and hot.
>        Since temperatures in the desert regularly exceed 100
>        degrees this time of the tear how well can soldiers fight
>        when equipped for a gas attack?

Not well.  This is true almost regardless of temperature, actually.  The
primary benefit of gas warfare against well-prepared troops is the loss
of fighting effectiveness due to protective gear.  It does not cause
very many actual casualties unless used against "softer" targets.

Late in WW2, the Allies seriously using 48 hours of mustard gas as
a pre-invasion bombardment for Japanese-held islands, to reduce the
all-too-high effectiveness of the defenders by making them spend two
days in gas gear.  Fears of German reprisal against British civilian
targets got the idea shelved.

                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                          henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry