[sci.military] The Iraqi Invasion of Kuwait

chris@uunet.UU.NET (Chris Graham) (08/05/90)

From: graham!chris@uunet.UU.NET (Chris Graham)

  I've been thinking about the military options available to the US for
responding to the recent invasion of Kuwait by Iraq and I'm interested
in what other people think the best options might be.  My guess is that
a naval blockade might be the most cost effective response.

  It seems that airpower can be brought to bear faster than any other
vehicles of destruction and it can be used to destroy the Iraqi airforce
and Navy.  Even in absense of friendly bases, it seems that the US Navy
can project enough airpower to accomplish this objective by using massed
aircraft carriers.

  Once Iraq is denuded of it's power to fight on the sea and in the air,
it should be a simple matter to enforce a total and strangling blockade.
It is said that Hussein's rule is not secure and so the economic results of
such a blockade might prove a danger to his administration.  Moreover, Iraq
is bounded by countries which are hostile to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait.
Consequently, a naval blockade might prove effective in cutting out all
trade, including the export of oil.

  What do people out there think of this?

--

Thought of the day:

   Mythology, n.:

     The body of a primitive people's beliefs concerning its
   orgin, early history, heroes, deities and so forth, as distinguished
   from the true accounts which it invents later

BITnet : lsuc!graham!chris@utorgpu
uucp   : ...!uunet!lsuc!graham!chris
FidoNet: Chris ON 1:250/716

mcdaniel@uunet.UU.NET (Tim McDaniel) (08/09/90)

From: mailrus!sharkey!amara!mcdaniel@uunet.UU.NET (Tim McDaniel)

Suppose Iraq were to use tactical chemical weapons against U.S.
forces, be it Marines/Army or Navy.

- What protective equipment does the U.S. have available, and in what
  quantities?
- What do the units in the Persian Gulf area have?
- Is the stuff actually usable in the area?  (If the Army uses
  rubberized suits, say, I rather have my doubts.)
- What, if anything, did Iran and Iraq use in their war?

I'm reminded of the Iranian mining of the Persian Gulf.  It was, as I
recall, suddenly discovered that we had no minesweepers there and no
plans to have any, a few old minesweepers in the Navy, and no plans to
build new ones.  I welcome correction if my memory is wrong on this.
--
"I'm not a nerd -- I'm 'socially challenged'."

Tim McDaniel
Internet: mcdaniel@adi.com             UUCP: {uunet,sharkey}!amara!mcdaniel

nelson@ee.udel.edu (Mark Nelson) (08/14/90)

From: Mark Nelson <nelson@ee.udel.edu>

In article <1990Aug9.020039.8873@cbnews.att.com> mailrus!sharkey!amara!mcdaniel@uunet.UU.NET (Tim McDaniel) writes:

>Suppose Iraq were to use tactical chemical weapons against U.S.
>forces, be it Marines/Army or Navy.
>
>- Is the stuff actually usable in the area?  (If the Army uses
>  rubberized suits, say, I rather have my doubts.)

According to a report on CNN, the Army's chemical protection suits
are made of cloth, impregnated with activated charcoal to absorb or
neutralize the chemical agents.  Of course, the head mask is rubber,
and the soldiers wear rubber gloves.  The normal helmet and boots are
worn, with something over the boots (it wasn't specified what, but it
did look awfully ungainly.)

>- What, if anything, did Iran and Iraq use in their war?

As far as the Iraqi chemical stockpile, they have mustard gas and
one of the more primitive nerve gasses (I don't remember the name).
Their nerve gas was originally developed in Germany during WWII, and
is based on a common pesticide.  Although mustard gas is not usually
fatal, during the Iran/Iraq war and the Iraqi gas attacks on their
own Kurdish minority, more fatalities were caused by mustard gas
than by the Iraqi nerve gas.
--

Mark Nelson                   ...!uunet!udel!nelson or nelson@udel.edu
This function is occasionally useful as an argument to other functions

carlson@gateway (Bruce Carlson) (08/14/90)

From: carlson@gateway (Bruce Carlson)

In article <1990Aug9.020039.8873@cbnews.att.com> mailrus!sharkey!amara!mcdaniel@uunet.UU.NET (Tim McDaniel) writes:

>Suppose Iraq were to use tactical chemical weapons against U.S.
>forces, be it Marines/Army or Navy.
>
>- What protective equipment does the U.S. have available, and in what
>  quantities?
>- What do the units in the Persian Gulf area have?
>- Is the stuff actually usable in the area?  (If the Army uses
>  rubberized suits, say, I rather have my doubts.)
>- What, if anything, did Iran and Iraq use in their war?

The "rubberized suit" description is not quite correct, but the suits
are almost that bad.
A description of the suit:

Two piece, pants and shirt, with zippers on each and a snapped down flap over
the zippers.  The shirt snaps to the trousers and the trousers are
quite high-waisted.  The construction is two layers of fabric with an
activated charcoal layer (maybe some other layers) between them.  The look
and feel is like a kids fiberfill snow suit.  Its not quite as warm as
a snow suit, but its close.

Boot covers, thick rubber sole, thinner upper portion that you tie up
around your ankles.  Loose fitting, akward to walk in, upper portions are
not very durable.

Gloves, black, similar to heavy rubber kitchen gloves, with a cotton
replaceable liner.

Mask, (I think M17A1 is the nomenclature).  Mask body is heavy rubber,
inhale through the filters on each side, exhale through the
lower middle in front of the mouth.  Masks are sized in small, medium
and large and if you wear glasses you can fit eye-glass inserts into
them so you can see.  There is an attachment on the front with a tube
that connects to a canteen so you can drink without removing the mask.
You can also get a resuscitation tube that connects to the exhalation
port so you can (in theory) give CPR with your mask on.

Mask hood, attached to the mask.  Rubber hood that covers most of the mask
and extends down over the shoulders, straps under the arms hold the hood
down.

If you wear all this equipment you are covered from head to toe with
either rubber or the charcoal filtered double-layer cloth.

Problems with the equipment:

- Overheating of personnel is prevalent, even in moderate weather.
- It is fairly easy to tear some of the rubber pieces if you actively
engage in things like walking in rough terrain or falling on the
ground.
- The mask filters must be replaced periodically if they are exposed to
active agents and the mask must be removed during replacement.  Replacement
time is every 4 hours of exposure and you have to be in
a chemical free environment since you must remove the mask.
- The mask makes it generally hard to breath, because of the one-way
valve on the intake.  It wears you out after a while.

The U.S. Army has a lot of other Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC)
equipment that is standard to all tactical units.  They have chemical
monitoring units that mount on the outside of vehicles and portable detection
kits to analyze the type of agent. In combat every man should carry
Atropine or Nerve-Agent Antidote and some other items (that I can't
recall the name of) stored in his mask carrier.

The big problem with all the NBC equipment, from the troops perspective, is
that they have never seen it used in a real chemical environment and they
don't know if it works the way its supposed to.  The Army
trains NBC personnel and makes NBC training part of its regular program, but
there has never been an actual threat.  There are also no "war stories"
about chemical attacks and no "old-timers" that can tell troops what
really happens.

Bruce Carlson
carlson@gateway.mitre.org

root@uunet.UU.NET (Superuser) (08/15/90)

From: edat!root@uunet.UU.NET (Superuser)
In article <1990Aug9.020039.8873@cbnews.att.com> mailrus!sharkey!amara!mcdaniel@uunet.UU.NET (Tim McDaniel) writes:
>Suppose Iraq were to use tactical chemical weapons against U.S.
>forces, be it Marines/Army or Navy.
>
>- What protective equipment does the U.S. have available, and in what
>  quantities?

The local Army National Guard Unit here is Las Vegas is a Decontam-
ination Unit trained in desert chemical warfare.  Local news reports
said they are not on alert, though individuals they have prepared
to leave on a moments notice.  Also that operating in the desert
is tough, but can be done.  Everyone just must take more frequent
breaks.  This is akin to firefigthers operating in the summer time
with masks on.

>- What do the units in the Persian Gulf area have?

The one in Vegas is still here.  I guess not Guard units have
been activated at the moment.

>- Is the stuff actually usable in the area?  (If the Army uses
>  rubberized suits, say, I rather have my doubts.)

Sure its usable, just oppressive.

--
Brian Douglass			uunet!edat!brian