[sci.military] U.S.S. Wisconsin collision

phil@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Phil Gustafson) (08/15/90)

From: phil@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Phil Gustafson)
In article <1990Aug12.214307.2153@cbnews.att.com> henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:

>I dimly recall that Wisconsin was mothballed in a damaged state after
>a collision (?), and recommissioning her would require major repairs.
>This would explain her being left to last.
>
>                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>                                          henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

_Wisconsin_ rammed the destroyer _Eaton_ on 6 May 1956.  She was repaired
with a bow transplant from the unfinished but floating _Kentucky_ (BB-66).

Like the almost-finished large cruiser _Hawaii_ (CB-3), _Kentucky_ was
proposed for several missle conversions (BBG), the first including
silos and platforms for V-2-like weapons and the later ones including
Terrier and Talos mounts.  Unfortunately for people liking pretty*
warships, interference between radars prevented the installation
of more launchers than would fit on the much more economical
_Baltimore_-class cruiser hulls.  _Kentucky's_ engines later powered
two fast supply ships; she and _Hawaii_ were scrapped in the late 50's.

Of the _Iowa_'s, _New_Jersey_ was recommissioned first because her
Vietnam-era refurbishing left her the easiest to convert.  The others
were rebuilt in order of their age.  Their retirement is also in
order of age -- _Iowa_ is the oldest vessel and has a damaged turret,
_NJ_ has the most years in commission, and the two newest vessels
are retained in service.

*[It's MHO that the _Iowa_ and _Alaska_ (CB) classes are among the most
attractive warships ever built.  The appearance, again IMHO, was a
major reason for their renaissance.  I'm looking at a photo of _Iowa_
in close formation with two _Spruance_s and a modern DDL/CG -- they
just don't know how to make graceful warships any more!]

[mod.note:  Clearly a matter of preference.  For my tastes, I'd have to
rate the Italians as building the most attractive warships.  The Littorio
class BB's of WWII were quite elegant.  More recently, when last
multinational forces were deploying to the Persian Gulf, I recall seeing
CNN footage of international ships.  One caught my eye and I commented to
a friend, "my, that's a pretty ship; must be Italian."  Darned if it
wasn't... - Bill ]