[sci.military] Chinese Army

kchiu%carina.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu (08/13/90)

From: kchiu%carina.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu ()
	Hello, I am interested in the strength and power of the Chinese Armed
Forces at the present time (People's Repulic of China). I am interested in
air, ground and naval forces. Please post informations on here or leave
Mail to me.
							Thanks.

kchiu@carina.unm.edu

zarda@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Dr. Strangelove) (08/17/90)

From: zarda@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Dr. Strangelove)

In article <1990Aug12.214400.2380@cbnews.att.com> kchiu%carina.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu writes:
>From: kchiu%carina.unm.edu@ariel.unm.edu ()
>	Hello, I am interested in the strength and power of the Chinese Armed
>Forces at the present time (People's Repulic of China). I am interested in
>air, ground and naval forces. Please post informations on here or leave
>Mail to me.
>							Thanks.

Well I spent some time looking for it and here's what I found.

Airforce
Total Manpower: 490,000
Strategic Rocket Forces Manpower: 220,000
Total Aircraft: 5,300

120 H-6/TU-16 (Badger)
500 H-5/Il-28 (Beagle)
3,000 J-6/Mig-19 (Farmer)
400 J-5/Mig-17 (Fresco)
200 J-7/Mig-21 (Fishbed)
30? J-8/updated Mig-21
500 Q-5/A-5 Fantan
200 reconnaissance
500 fixed wing transport
400 Helicopters

Navy
Total Manpower:360,000
Total vessles: 750
11 Luda DD (Kotlin)
31 Jianghu FF
4 Jiangan FF (Riga)
10 Dajiang Sub Support Ship
20 Gulf SSBN
90 Romeo SS
120 Huangfen PC (Osa)
60 P6 PT
?? Xia SSBN

Naval Aviation Total Manpower: 34,000
130 H-5/Il-28 (Beagle)
600 Fighters

Army
Total Manpower:3.5 million
35 armies
13 armoured
17 artillery
?? airbourne

Total By District
Shenyang (North-East)
5 armoured
23 infantry divisions
13 regional forces
2 missiles

Beijing (North)
4 armoured
25 infantry
1 airbourne
13 regional
1 missiles

Lanzhou (West)
1 armoured
13 infantry
9 regional
2 missiles

Chengdu (South-West)
15 infantry
6 regional
1 missile

Guangzhou (South)
16 infantry
12 regional

Jinan (Center)
2 armoured
10 infantry
3 airbourne
6 regional

Nanjing (East)
1 armoured
16 infantry
14 regional

The proceeding information has been taken from the Following books:

The Dragon's Teeth- Inside China's Armed Forces
Orion Books C.1987 John Robert Young
>Great Book On China's Military. I recomend it to anyone who's interested
>in the Chinese Armed Forces.
The Chinese War Machine
Salamander Books C.1979 Dr. James E. Dorman, Nigel de Lee
Pocket Guide to Military Aircraft, and the Worlds Airforces.
Gallery Books C.1989 David Donald

         Dr. Strangelove

--
 Dr. Strangelove               "Berlin is the testicles of the West.
 U.Wisconsin Milwaukee         Each time I give them a yank, they