[sci.military] H202 Submarine Propulsion

kml@mosquito.cis.ufl.edu (Kevin Lahey) (08/05/90)

From: kml@mosquito.cis.ufl.edu (Kevin Lahey)

In article <1990Aug2.042311.3031@cbnews.att.com> c8636248@cc.nu.oz.au writes:
>A book I have at home on modern submarines and submarine warfare has a
>similar reference to the Royal Navy submarine HMS Explorer ( I think the
>class name was Safari ). This had been fitted with an experimental hydrogen
>peroxide propulsion system of such dubious propensities that the crew took to
>calling it 'HMS Exploder'.

I remember reading about a similar propulsions system which the Germans
developed, and apparantly used, at the end of WWII.   It was mentioned just
as a sidelight, as one of those "if only the war had continued for another
year or so, things might have been different..."-type things, but it sounded
like it worked for them, and had alot of potiential.  Does anybody have
any more information about this?  It always sounded like a wonderful idea,
and I wondered why we didn't hear any more about it.

Thanks,
Kevin

kml@mosquito.cis.ufl.edu
_Ubi Libertas, Ibi Patria_ - "Where liberty is, there is my country."
	- some Revolutionary War naval hero's motto, anybody know who?

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (08/08/90)

From: fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix)

In article <1990Aug5.042837.29342@cbnews.att.com>, kml@mosquito.cis.ufl.edu (Kevin Lahey) writes:

> In article <1990Aug2.042311.3031@cbnews.att.com> c8636248@cc.nu.oz.au writes:
> >A book I have at home on modern submarines and submarine warfare has a
> >similar reference to the Royal Navy submarine HMS Explorer ( I think the
> >class name was Safari ). This had been fitted with an experimental hydrogen
> >peroxide propulsion system of such dubious propensities that the crew took to
> >calling it 'HMS Exploder'.

> I remember reading about a similar propulsions system which the Germans
> developed, and apparantly used, at the end of WWII.   It was mentioned just

The german hydrogen peroxide engine was developed by Walther.  Next best
thing to a nuke engine, according to some.

There are still small, coastal defense subs being built in German
shipyards for various customers.  I think they're diesel-electric
boats, though.

------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes
    at such an inconvenient time of day.
------------

From: henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer)
>From: kml@mosquito.cis.ufl.edu (Kevin Lahey)
>>... This had been fitted with an experimental hydrogen
>>peroxide propulsion system...
>
>I remember reading about a similar propulsions system which the Germans
>developed, and apparantly used, at the end of WWII...
>any more information about this?  It always sounded like a wonderful idea,
>and I wondered why we didn't hear any more about it.

This is probably the Walther engine, which decomposed hydrogen peroxide
and then burned diesel fuel (I think) in the oxygen that resulted.  The
big advantage, obviously, was a high-powered engine that did not need
air.  (Most people don't realize how limited the conventional subs of
the time were; once they submerged, they could stay under for a day or
two at most, and speed on batteries was typically *two knots*.)  The idea
looked good, but three things stalled it.  One was the obvious problem,
that Germany was rapidly going down the tubes.  Another was competition
from a rethinking of the conventional design, in favor of much higher
battery capacity.  That improved the conventional sub so much that it
became the standard for later versions, and the Walther engine's
advantages did not look as impressive any more.  The death knell was
nuclear propulsion, which made all the chemically-fuelled subs look
like toys by comparison.

                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                          henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

cg47+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chap Godbey) (08/19/90)

From: Chap Godbey <cg47+@andrew.cmu.edu>
It could be a fuel cell the Germans are currently developing which just
might have an endurance to rival nuclear propulsion (e.g. underwater
until the crew runs out of food).    It's under wraps, but a bit was put
out in the press a year ago. After a trial run on a new boat, the W.
Germans were building eight new with this propulsion.
|        Chap Godbey (WACK@DRYCAS.CLUB.CC.CMU.EDU)       |
|                    (cg47+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU)              |
|                 Un! Znqr lbh ybbx!                     |

<FLAME ON>
What? The letter is finished? Darn..
<fizzle>