[sci.military] _Lexington_ nit

phil@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Phil Gustafson) (08/21/90)

From: phil@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Phil Gustafson)
I wrote:
>The 8" batteries on the _Lexington_s were removed in early 1942
>and never used in anger.
>
>[mod.note: Lexington was sunk before receiving this coversion. - Bill ]

Photos of the smoking, bow-heavy _Lex_ at Coral Sea show the 8" gunhouses
gone, apparently replaced by the infamous quad 1.1" machine guns the Navy
tried for a few years.  Some writers have indicated that the guns were
incorporated into Hawaii's shore defense, but I have no good reference
on the point.

_Lex_ was of course lost before she could undergo the more extensive
improvements fitted to _Saratoga_.

[Thanks for the info re SoDak's hit in the barbette.  I'll have to change
my assertion to "no U.S. battleship was ever hit in her _belt_armor_ by
a large-caliber shell in combat." :-)]